Signs for "check computer" or "safety stop complete"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Brett Hatch I wouldn't say the swipe over computer is common and it's one I've never used personally, but it's one that I would recognize what they were getting at if I saw it.
The circle on wrist is supposed to indicate "time" as an fyi.

@drl as long as your team knows, then it's fine, but the thumb over fingers is the signal for "silt".

@TBone, I didn’t know the sign for silt, and I should, since I dive Great Lakes wrecks! But in a safety stop context silt is unlikely. I think my buddy came up with it as a one-handed version of the “job done” sign referred to above. Not sure anyone else uses it that way but it seems to be understood.

@TBone, I didn’t know the sign for silt, and I should, since I dive Great Lakes wrecks! But in a safety stop context silt is unlikely. I think my buddy came up with it as a one-handed version of the “job done” sign referred to above. Not sure anyone else uses it that way but it seems to be understood.

it is all about removing abiquity. As long as your dive team is on the same page, that is all that matters. I would certainly have questioned it if I saw it without any forewarning since it is a regularly used signal in the caves, but all that matters is everyone knows what you're talking about.

To the OP: My experience (my part of the world :wink:), warm water, rec dive...If a group dive, SS discussed in dive brief prior to splashing. When agreed to time/gas limit to end dive is reached (point at gauges/DC), a thumbs up followed by 3 fingers under a flat palm as a SS reminder. Once everybody is at SS after approx. the designated period of time (3/5 min whatever was agreed upon/discussed during the dive brief) folks (or guide if there is one) will start looking around and giving oks. If your SS is complete, respond with ok or headshake. Rinse & repeat until everybody finishes SS then surface. If buddy pairs finish earlier or have agreed to longer SS then surface in pairs when SS completed. If you're just buddy diving (no group) just do what's agreed to before splashing, probably some variant of above. Pretty basic stuff. YMMV. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom