Signs for "check computer" or "safety stop complete"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was very likely the swipe over the computer I was thinking of, thanks for the explanations all.

I've never seen the swipe over computer, but from the thread it seems common. What I have seen commonly is the "job done" gesture that @tbone1004 described; see attached. Like the "OK" symbol, it can be a question or answer. It was used extensively in my Open Water course during skills demonstrations. Not sure how widely used it is -- it could be a quirk of the shop (Diver Dan's) or the region (Monterey, CA), for all I know. The gesture comes up in most dives in the following exchange: "safety stop gesture? yes, safety stop gesture". 3 minutes later, "job done? yes, job done". Then a thumb, OK, a direction, or simply beginning the final ascent. Sometimes it's used for communicating that some other job is done, like adjusting gear or stowing a tool.

The "trace circle on wrist" to mean "computer" is common here as well, and I have seen it used in a few different ways. Haven't yet seen the middle finger gesture being used to mean "my deco stop is longer than yours, I'm gonna go do it over here, seeya nerd!", but I sure have seen it used in a variety of other circumstances. Even non-divers seem to have caught onto it, it's really quite flexible.

Attachments

• job-done-hands-icon-600w-359338136.jpg
    job-done-hands-icon-600w-359338136.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 34
I dive with relatively few people. If I am unsure of the other diver's status, I show them my computer/console and expect them to reciprocate.

For a safety stop or deco, I just signal a ceiling above my head, by waving my hand over my head in a flat plane with the palm down and then hold up the number of minutes of hang time with fingers. Pretty easy to envision a 5 minute ceiling like that. We don't distinguish safety stop from required deco stop, but of course if the time is over 3-5 minutes the context should be clear.

When the ceiling is done, I give the thumbs up, if the buddy wants to hang more they can just show a ceiling sign and remaining minutes.

Not sure if I was ever taught that in an formal class or it just sorta evolved?

We usually use what Brett calls the “job done” sign, sometimes one-handed rubbing thumb against other fingers if one hand is occupied. But I’ve seen the swipe over computer used by dive guides.

I'd say keep it as minimal as possible. You all agreed on the dive plan and from my experience a safety stop was always mentioned by a guide. So if you all have arrived at the desired depth the X minutes stop starts. If seconds are not visible on your timer and only minutes there can be a bit difference of a few seconds but in this case 3 minutes is 3 minutes, right?
We make a stepping motion with our hand horizontal to signal an advance to the next depth for the next stop. If agreed each diver repeats this signal.

I use my hand across the computer for recreational dives and for the final deco stop on tech dives. The hand "sweeps" across the computer acting as a broom. This is the followed by the ok signal which is a question to my buddy to make sure we are on the same page. My buddy either gives me the ok and we ascend or they give me the stop (hand up, palm facing me) and the time remaining.

I usually see the three fingers pointing up under an open flat hand to indicate 3 minutes at 5 meters for a safety stop. Next, the guide will point to each person with a dive computer and request the time. Everyone should be signaling back three. (This was when one person signaled back four and the guide went to check his computer to see that he had mandatory deco. Had the person signaled three, he would have done his mandatory deco and surfaced without an additional safety stop. The guide had them do four plus another three for a total of seven.) When the safety stop is finished, I do either a flat hand waving over the dive computer or a brushing motion with my fingers over the dive computer to indicate finished. Next comes, thumbs up, okay? If someone isn't ready, then there's stop, vertical flat hand, and time remaining in minutes.

Pinky up to indicate we're discussing deco/safety stop. Horizontal flat hand shaken back and forth, either over the PDC or mid-water to indicate a cleared deco/safety stop, followed by a thumbs up (end dive). Gas allowing, no one heads up until everyone in the group has cleared. No matter how strident the boat is on any 500 psi rule, always do your deco/safety stop. I wouldn't drain the tank dry, but do as much as you can.

About safety stop: I know left hand flat and pointing 3 fingers from below to signal safety stop.
Other divers can respond with one, two or three fingers on top of their hands, for signaling the remaining safety stop time in minutes, or "sweeping" if its already done.

As an aside, my safety stops are always five minutes minimum. I don't have the drowsy after dive syndrome when I add two minutes.

As an aside #2, I prefer single handed signs. Easier to do while I'm in a stiff current hanging on a down line while waiting for deco/safety stops to clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom