Signed up for Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After passing up the last time the course was offered at my LDS, I've signed up for Fundies in 3 weeks time. My wallet dictated dir-f or cav-sink, and since cav-sink is offered more often than dir-f, I've chosen the latter.

Now the gear question...
I currently use a Balance rear-inflate, single 100, and Legend on a 7" hose. I've used a bp/w with independant 85s on a couple of occassions in the past. The shop is happy to set me up with a bp/w and manifolded twins for the course.

So my question to the knowledgeable out there, is should I just go with their gear, or is it worth my while to fork out for the bp/w before the course and use my own gear. If finance is an issue, is it worthwhile just getting the backplate and harness set up, and beg borrow or steal a wing until the wallet recovers?

I have 2x100s, but I won't be manifolding them any time soon if at all, so the twins will definately be shop-supplied.

hmmm... well, ideally you would be familiar with your gear before DIR-F

you're going to get a lot thrown at you without also having to struggle with unfamiliar gear

so ... whether you go go rent or own route, try to get a few dives in before hand in whatever gear you are going to use

you'll love the class. it's a real challenge

yeah you will love the class, it will change the way you dive. i know it did for me:)

I would agree with H2Andy - probably the most critical thing at this time is to be familiar with the set-up BEFORE the course, regardless of whether it's yours or rented. If you aren't already familiar with DIR diving techniques, you'll find that the challenge to your current style could be quite severe. The last thing you want to be worrying about is your rig. If, after doing the course, you decide that DIR is for you, then the choice will be made for you - you'll buy what you need to buy as soon as your wallet allows.

You'll enjoy the course. It's the most challenging and rewarding dive class I've taken so far (I'm a PADI DM), and I really felt like I'd accomplished something when I passed.

Good luck!

Thanks H2Anny & Womble,
I believe that I am somewhat familiar with some of the DIR techniques, and practice them to a certain extent already - but I imagine nothing compared to what I will come out of the course with.

As I mentioned, I have done a couple of dives with a borrowed bp/w setup, and felt comfortable in the water pretty much immediately, even though it wasn't quite adjusted properly. So I don't expect any familiarity issues - I do plan to do a dive the weekend before though.

I guess when it comes down to it, the difference between hiring/borrowing a rig and getting my own, is that I'm not being a pain and adjusting someone else's setup, and I'd be setting mine up right, and won't have to do it again..

My advice is worth what you pay for it, but I'd say that, if you aren't diving doubles regularly, you'd be better off taking the class in a single tank. You'll have enough thrown at you without managing unfamiliar doubles.

As far as gear goes, if you are pretty sure you're going to do cave diving, or follow the DIR path, then I'd say it would be worth acquiring your BP/W setup before the class if you can afford it. Getting the BP and harness and borrowing a wing is reasonable, since the harness is the part that really needs to be personalized.

Congratulations on signing up for the class -- It's EXCELLENT!

I agree with Lynne, Andy and others. If you're not familiar (and comfortable) in doubles, take the class in a singles rig. However you do it, get some dives on the BP/W you'll be using before the class starts. You DON'T want to be dealing with unfamiliar equipment during the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DIRF comes in rec and tech versions. The bar for a tech pass is higher than for the rec pass and requires doubles and a can light, but passing shouldn't be the priamry goal anyway... If you plan to cave or tech dive in doubles then you might as well take the course in doubles and rent a can light too.

If you are insta-comfortable with the bp/w setup, then don't worry about it. Better to get the DIRF instructors gear advise first before buying. OTOH, some people need time to get used to the DIR setup, so for them buying and diving the gear before the course makes sense (probably most people fall more or less into this latter category).

*Floater*:
DIRF comes in rec and tech versions. The bar for a tech pass is higher than for the rec pass and requires doubles and a can light

is this a recent thing?

i was not aware of that. i thought there was only one DIR-F

Yes, its "new". Too many students were passing DIRF in a single tank and then showing up for Tech1 or Cave1 for their very first introduction to doubles.

You can still take DIRF in a single tank. But in order to advance to tech or cave 1 you have to take it (or get upgraded by an instructor) with doubles and a canister light. This was part of last year's standards revisions.

Previous cards are grandfathered in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom