Signaling tube question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
You're right, of course, but I haven't seen one without an OPV for ages. I don't think anyone even makes them anymore, do they? Clearly the sealed types are only good on the surface. R..
A common item over here in US dive shops is the "Sea Me" signal sausage. About US$20. I think the same sausage is also sold under the Trident label. The sausage plus 20' of cord + a small weight roll up to about 4-1/2" x 2" diameter.

It doesn't have an overpressure valve and is sold only for surface usage, but a couple of years ago I saw a Cozumel divemaster using one as a DSMB. When I asked about how difficult it was to judge how much air to put into it when inflating at 20' or so, he replied "doesn't matter". On the next dive he sent it up from 80', fully inflated. I tried the same thing with mine from 100'. It fizzes a lot as it goes up, but the pressure is relieved by air going through the fabric rather than bursting the seams. Since then I've regularly used it when surfacing in areas with boat traffic.

Charlie

Wow, I have never used one of the sausages. Wouldnt have occured to me. I have had a couple of occasions when I surfaced just a bit farther from the boat than intended with a little less air than was optimal and had to swim a ton. I could have used my whistle I guess but they were always reserved for an emergency instead of a screw up....LOL. Dive safe
Bill

Here is an interesting surface safety float from about 1970. It uses a CO2 cartridge to inflate. The pen is in the pic for scale. It is rubber so it expands like a balloon. Pretty neat. N

I use a slightly different technique to filling a DSMB. I give the reel to my buddy make sure buddy has released the ratchet on the reel.

Tilt my head and hold the DSMB above the regs exhaust and hang on to the dsmb until it starts to lift me then I release it. Works well and saves air since it using just my waste air.

Always make sure that the line is taught and away from you before starting to fill the DSMB.

I have seen some divers attach the reel to a wreck and then do the same thing to fill it.

Peter

peter_dorset:
I use a slightly different technique to filling a DSMB. I give the reel to my buddy make sure buddy has released the ratchet on the reel.

Peter

This sounds very economical. What exactly does DSMB stand for?

Which products are goods ones for this technique?

When buying a DSMB I would look for a self sealing one that has an Over Pressure Value (OPV) to release any excess air as it ascends.

I have not had much luck with SMBs that are not self sealing as they go flat if the line is not taught all the time or in rough seas can get push around.

A self sealer is also full of air until you release with the OPV

Peter

"What exactly does DSMB stand for?"

I think it is an acronym for a safety sausage or sausage float or just simply a sausage as I have always heard them called. They look like an air inflatable pool noodle to me. Would that be an AIPN? LOL. N

peter_dorset:
When buying a DSMB I would look for a self sealing one that has an Over Pressure Value (OPV) to release any excess air as it ascends.
I have not had much luck with SMBs that are not self sealing as they go flat if the line is not taught all the time or in rough seas can get push around.
A self sealer is also full of air until you release with the OPV

Peter

Good info. Thanks. :luxhello:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom