signaling device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donovano:
The one I use originally came from www.scubabell.com but one of the members of our club has started making them. They are not as easy to make as you think as the water pressure manages to sneak in at any tiny hairline crack.
Does the SCUBA Bell sound like a bell underwater? I'm interested in a shaker that isn't just a rattle. I'm not really interested in adding a possible failure point to my air supply, like a ScubAlert.

jschoenke:
I dove recently with someone that has a noise maker that is the most effective I have heard. Effective in that it is very audible and not obnoxious. It is about 2 inches long, looks like a dive tank and sounds like ringing bells when it is shaken. It has an SAS stamp on it. He told me a friend from Japan gave it to him. I've done a fair amount of searching on the web, but I can't find it and I'd really like to have one. Is anyone familiar with this product?

Where did you see this? Was it Belize by chance?

well, i was wanting to get one of those duck quakers. I dont think I would spend $50 on one though

I have one of the scubalert duck quackers, and quite frankly it's a P.I.T.A on your inflator. Just too much to fumble with to find the right button... at least for an old guy.

I really liked the rattle I had which was just a 2-1/2" piece of 3/4 copper pipe with a s.s. nut inside and caps sweated on each end. Too bad TSA goes nuts seeing them in your dive bag!

Now I just pound the palm of my hand over a loose fist if I'm in shallow water (doesn't seem to work in deeper water), and bang my knife on the tank in deeper water. If they can't hear that, oh well.....

Dennis

I hate those quacker things. REALLY annoying to divers other than your buddy. If you're a DM leading a group, great, otherwise there are better, cheaper, (and less obnoxious) options.

Charlie99:
Check out http://reefnet.ca/products/h2yo/

h2yo_four01.jpg

They are similar, even if not the exact one you saw.

Charlie Allen
these work great!

I was also looking for a bell-like underwater signaling device. Rev. Blade shared the link to Scuba Bell with me and I ordered one. I won't get a chance to get it in the water for another week or two, but above water, it definitely jingles instead of rattles.

I'll keep you posted!
Meg :)

I use a clicker. You get them at Petsmart. They are used for training dogs. Cost a whole $1.49. Work great and you never see anyone else with one

Meg:
I was also looking for a bell-like underwater signaling device. Rev. Blade shared the link to Scuba Bell with me and I ordered one. I won't get a chance to get it in the water for another week or two, but above water, it definitely jingles instead of rattles.

I'll keep you posted!
Inquiring minds need to know... does it jingle underwater? I tried a bicycle bell under water, but it just went "clunk". If the scubabell jingles, how far does the sound carry?

I had a class in the water last weekend and finally had a chance to try out my new scuba bell.
The verdict....
It DOES jingle!! I can't say yet how far the sound carries - at least 25 yards (we were in the pool), but I'm very, very happy it doesn't clack.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, Rev. Blade!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom