Signal Mirror Evaluation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba:
So how would you signal at night then??
Very simple. Shine my flashlight at the boat and wiggle it back and forth. Although you may get occasional glints of moonlight, that is never a constant series of 90 flashes per minute.

And yes, I have done search and rescue at night while in the Navy, and I have spent a couple thousand hours staring at dark oceans as a watch officer.

----------------

The problem of reflections off of waves is much more of a problem during the day, but it is pretty easy to tell the difference between a mirror and a sunlight reflection from a wave. Same as the difference between a flashlight and moonlight -- the flashlight or mirror signal will be repeated.

Now telling the difference between a mirror reflection and a random reflection from the windshield of a small boat is more difficult, but again, if the person using a mirror repeatedly scans the horizons the difference soon becomes clear.

backpackers often carry a used cd. the whole makes an excellent sight for the mirror. not sure if it would work for diving, but I don't see why not.

The hole makes it easier to aim than a non-holed reflector, but not nearly as easy to aim well as a designed signal mirror with the retroreflective insert (and associated "fireball" aiming indicator). Also, as CDs have been shown time and again to be very poor performers compared to even the most inexpensive, rudimentary aluminized lexan mirrors, I'll spend $5-10 for a nice mirror that is measurably more effective.

For signaling with a mirror during the daytime aim at the target and keep it on the target (airplane, boat) that way you should stand out from the other flashes/waves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom