Sight seeing on the island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If all goes well I'll be in Cozumel the 12th. My partner and I will be diving, but not every day. We'll be staying at the Allegro so we will not be able to get to the city without a taxi.

What sights are worth going to? We are planning on doing at least one day and possibly two days of going around the island. Looking at Punta Sur, San Gervasio, and some time in the city, but after that no idea what's a good place to go or what places to avoid.

What about beaches on the east side of the island, would they be worth a stop and sit on for a bit? Good snorkeling on that side?

Any can't miss places on the island?

Were same time next door...if u were me, I'd hit up the tequila factory north of town...plan on staying for a few hours...lol

I'll be down there on the 22nd with the family. planning on going to the chocolate factory, apiary, and some local playgrounds. Yes, I have small children before you peg me as a perv.

Also the movie theatre and bowling. Shopping at the Mega can be fun, too. Seriously.

If all goes well I'll be in Cozumel the 12th. My partner and I will be diving, but not every day. We'll be staying at the Allegro so we will not be able to get to the city without a taxi.

What sights are worth going to? We are planning on doing at least one day and possibly two days of going around the island. Looking at Punta Sur, San Gervasio, and some time in the city, but after that no idea what's a good place to go or what places to avoid.

What about beaches on the east side of the island, would they be worth a stop and sit on for a bit? Good snorkeling on that side?

Any can't miss places on the island?

Some of the best beaches on the island are over on the east side, and there are beach clubs and restaurants (Mescalito's, Senor Iguana's, Chen Rio, Coconuts, Punta Morena, Rasta's) over there as well. They are smaller and more rustic than the ones on the west side. The nicest one is Punta Morena, but I like them all. Coconut's is pretty cool; it sits on a stone outcropping that is the highest point on the island. One thing to know is that there is no electrical grid over there so the places all close well before sunset.

There are some really cool rock formations extending out into the Caribbean at El Mirador; look for "The Crouching Lion" out in the surf.

Because of the prevailing east wind there is normally significant surf on the east side, so it's usually not conducive for snorkeling, but Chen Rio and La Morena have sheltered swimming areas. La Morena has a pool as well.

Enjoy your trip!

The beaches and the primitive palapa bars on the east side are definitely worth a trip ( or three!), but theres virtually no reef or sealife to speak of (that I ever saw,anyway).
Also, it's very shallow, even a ways out. (IIRC, 150 yards out, you might still only be in 8 ft of water, with little more than sand to see. But, during these winter months, when the nortes blow in from the NW, the east side can be glassy smooth.)
The more populated west side, south of town, also has some quaint, laid-back little bars and beaches, and though those won't be quite as secluded, theyre gonna be vastly better for snorkeling or shore diving.

I've been diving on the east side by boat. It's nice but I would not snorkel there. There are signs everywhere warning about the rip currents and yet people die there every year. If you're comfortable navigating rips then have at it. The snorkeling is better on the west side.

There's a run down place called Playa Corona that has good snorkeling. I've even done a couple of shore dives there. The owner is really nice.

I'll be down there on the 22nd with the family. planning on going to the chocolate factory, apiary, and some local playgrounds. Yes, I have small children before you peg me as a perv.

Also the movie theatre and bowling. Shopping at the Mega can be fun, too. Seriously.

I always try to go to a grocery store when in a new place, and find that there are much better souvenirs there instead of the normal shops (although I still go to those too... I am a glutton). Always some cool grocery item, kitchen utensil, snack or other gift for my nephew and parents. Plus the coffee is always cheaper than at the tourist traps or airport!

I always try to go to a grocery store when in a new place, and find that there are much better souvenirs there instead of the normal shops (although I still go to those too... I am a glutton). Always some cool grocery item, kitchen utensil, snack or other gift for my nephew and parents. Plus the coffee is always cheaper than at the tourist traps or airport!

Me, too. I have a shelf full of spices with labels I can't read.

I've been diving on the east side by boat. It's nice but I would not snorkel there. There are signs everywhere warning about the rip currents and yet people die there every year. If you're comfortable navigating rips then have at it. The snorkeling is better on the west side.

There's a run down place called Playa Corona that has good snorkeling. I've even done a couple of shore dives there. The owner is really nice.
Playa Corona is pretty cool. It's not on many people's A list so it's usually not crowded. The owner has a couple of "pet" morays that live under the steps that he will lure out with some pieces of fish (yeah, I know, but they aren't exactly wild). There's lots to see in about 4' of water, and there's a protected stand of staghorn coral north of the building a ways. It's roped off but you can see it pretty well from the ropes. The entry/exit is very easy; I take my 90+ year old mom there on every trip. It closes pretty early.

We were there last week and took our "first time on Cozumel friend" on an afternoon island tour. We just booked a taxi (van) for the three of us for the afternoon. We stopped at the ruins for an hour and a half, checked out some nice beaches, the arches, the blow holes, etc. with the taxi driver as our guide. Depending on the amount of daylight you have left, you can also hit one of the beach clubs.

The taxi driver was happy for the half day gig and the included guide (driver) being a local can't be beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom