sidemounting 119's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting....and you make good points.

However this has me asking myself will I ever need to swing the tanks out in front of me in an open water dive. Cool skill to have, and to have some fun in the quarry, but in an open water dive will I ever need to do this, aside from training?

It can be useful when there are swim-through or wrecks, especially if you want to do technical penetration.

But how do you do technical penetrations on open water dives?

Sidemount is nice in OW because you get a bunch of gas, without needing to climb back on to the boat carrying 100Lbs+ of steel.

Just clip off the tanks to the boat, climb the ladder, then haul the tanks up one at a time.

flots.

But how do you do technical penetrations on open water dives?

He said he intended to learn sidemount "to do particular dives. Open water, no cave or cavern, just mostly deep 100-130'." I don't know what particular dive he intend to do at that depth in open water. 2 HP119s to 100-130' is enough gas to exceed NDL and get bored on a reef IMO. The main motivation to me to do a deco dive in open water (recreational), since he said no cave, is to dive a wreck so I thought I'd mention it if one day he intends to do so, then he'll know the limits of the configuration. Sorry if I wrote non-necessary information.

Agree that double 119s are way more gas than is needed for OW ,NDL dives. Might make sense for repetitive dives or if the OP already has a 119.

One question for the OP: Are you diving dry? Twin steels in a wetsuit is generally not a good idea.

I dive a drysuit with a single 119 and a pony. I'm taking the Intro to Tech course and I'm more interested in sidemount than BM. My objective is to get extended range training, advanced nitox, and deco. My main interest is wrecks, not cave; but for now...I'll be diving sidemount in OW to gain proficiency. I understand 100-130' ft on a 119 is plenty of air as long as I stay within NDL. I do it all the time. However...my question was in regards to using my 119's for SM also...vs buying LP85's or something. Just trying to do with what I have.

I also went to sidemount with the HP119 I had when diving single backmount. I got really tired of manipulating them out of the water, that's why I bought AL80s. I'm having more fun with them for recreationnal depths. Many use HP100 or LP85 as they are very similar in size to an AL80 but stay negative when empty.

As for tank selection for Adv Nitrox/Deco and Extended range, I'll leave the comments to other more qualified persons (and will listen carefully as I also intend to take Adv Nitrox/Deco soon).

Back
Top Bottom