sidemounting 119's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queequeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive single 119's on a Dive Rite Transplate. I'm thinking of getting trained for sidemount to do particular dives. Open water, no cave or cavern, just mostly deep 100-130'.

Are 119's good for sidemount, in regards to trim?

Does the 8" diameter vs the 7.25" as in 120's or 100's pose any problems?

For the record, I'm 6' 190lbs.

:cool2:

I'm using two HP 117's Faber steels. Seems to be OK for me and I am 5'9" 160-165 lbs.

X8-119s are virtually identical in form factor and buoyancy to Worthington LP95s and they are pretty common sidemounted tanks.

You'll notice the extra diameter in smaller spaces and restrictions, but you can get a pair of LP 95s through some pretty small and low places. Mostly you'll notice the extra weight out of the water compared to AL 80s, steel 72s, LP 85s or X7-100s.

After the most recent cave trip we left our LP 95s in N FL as we dive other tanks every where else - Steel 72s (light, small diameter and about 86 cu ft when pumped to 3000 psi), AL 80's (light and available everywhere), AL 72s (just like an AL 80 but 6.9" in diameter like a steel 72) and X7-100s (better buoyancy than an AL 80 and 27 cu ft more gas each at 3600 psi than an AL 80).

my dive buddy sidemounts with lp95s. she is 5'7" and 130lbs. im thinking you should be good to go. the 8" diameter may cause more drag in the water than the 7.25", but that may or may not cause any trouble with your environment.

I dive S/M 130's and they are heavy out of the water but no issue in water. I haven't found a restriction or tunnel that I care to go through that I haven't fit.

I dive HP119s (Worthington) when I need more gas for a dive. The main downsides to me are, as said earlier the weight outside the water, and also the unability to unclip the tank and hold it in front of you while swimming (the weight of the tank pulls your head down unless the tank is almost empty). AL80s are much more fun with this respect as they are quite neutral and easy to move in the water.

I dive HP119s (Worthington) when I need more gas for a dive. The main downsides to me are, as said earlier the weight outside the water, and also the unability to unclip the tank and hold it in front of you while swimming (the weight of the tank pulls your head down unless the tank is almost empty). AL80s are much more fun with this respect as they are quite neutral and easy to move in the water.

Interesting....and you make good points.

However this has me asking myself will I ever need to swing the tanks out in front of me in an open water dive. Cool skill to have, and to have some fun in the quarry, but in an open water dive will I ever need to do this, aside from training?

Interesting....and you make good points.

However this has me asking myself will I ever need to swing the tanks out in front of me in an open water dive. Cool skill to have, and to have some fun in the quarry, but in an open water dive will I ever need to do this, aside from training?
We dive mixed teams on occasion and as such it's nice to have a long hose. Swinging a tank forward makes it easier to re-stow the hose neatly after deploying it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom