Sidemount Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that Aqui Watersports is pretty good, but I have no experience with them directly. And they aren't cave divers which is unfortunate. :rofl3:
I am an avid cave diver, and cave instructor, Chris is our Full Cave Evaluator, and Ryan started cave diving about a year ago. :wink:

We have anyone covered for all types of overhead... including Advanced Wreck.

I am an avid cave diver, and cave instructor, Ryan started cave diving about a year ago, and Chris is our Full Cave Evaluator. :wink:

We have anyone covered for all types of overhead... including Advanced Wreck.

I didn't know, I guess we can be friends now. :rofl3:

Considering proper training. I started SM diving during Covid and with travel restrictions lifting I’m think about travelling to Florida in June.
I’m interested in open water vs cave, however, I’m interested in wreck.
My diving is 99% open water and 1% wreck with some light penetration.
Looking for experienced and honest instructors that don’t care about certs but care about quality.

If you’re looking for SM training Chatterton is not your guy. He doesn’t give a rats ass about teaching buoyancy and trim nor does he like sidemount for wrecks so if that’s what your after, go elsewhere. In his own words he teaches the way he dives and he is an old school full contact wreck diver. If you need buoyancy, trim, and gear configuration help look elsewhere.

That said, if it’s wreck diving your after he is fantastic, the naysayers are only painting a partial picture. Adv wreck was probably the best class I’ve had and I’ve taken classes from some of the other recommended experts in this thread.

What’s that saying about there being no old and bold divers? Sure seems like Chatterton counts. BTW, he’s not teaching this year cause he’s out hunting wrecks in the Dominican Republic.

If you’re looking for SM training Chatterton is not your guy. He doesn’t give a rats ass about teaching buoyancy and trim nor does he like sidemount for wrecks so if that’s what your after, go elsewhere. In his own words he teaches the way he dives and he is an old school full contact wreck diver. If you need buoyancy, trim, and gear configuration help look elsewhere.

That said, if it’s wreck diving your after he is fantastic, the naysayers are only painting a partial picture. Adv wreck was probably the best class I’ve had and I’ve taken classes from some of the other recommended experts in this thread.

What’s that saying about there being no old and bold divers? Sure seems like Chatterton counts. BTW, he’s not teaching this year cause he’s out hunting wrecks in the Dominican Republic.
Looking for gear configuration, trim and buoyancy. Shallow water to be able to easily surface and discuss, adjust and descend. Hopefully some video for critiquing

I've done a day with Dene at Cave Adventurers, he got me sorted out enough to start cave training. Chris Brock of cavediving.com is who I did my cave training through, he is also a good sidemount instructor (I bought the rig from CA so I had them do the adjusting).

I've heard that Aqui Watersports is pretty good, but I have no experience with them directly. And they aren't cave divers which is unfortunate. :rofl3:

That being said if a wreck is on it's keel, sidemount sucks. You have to go 90 at every hatch. Every little hose hanger or DC locker grabs out at your tanks. Off of boats it is a pain.
I'll second for Chris Brock. Great sidemount and cave instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom