Sidemount Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Considering proper training. I started SM diving during Covid and with travel restrictions lifting I’m think about travelling to Florida in June.
I’m interested in open water vs cave, however, I’m interested in wreck.
My diving is 99% open water and 1% wreck with some light penetration.
Looking for experienced and honest instructors that don’t care about certs but care about quality.

you want sm wreck training.....john chatterton ibelieve is in pompano beach area.

It sounded as if OP is focused on core SM skills (99% open water), not full wreck penetration (1% wreck with some light penetration).

While I'm here, there are videos that people recommend, but I'm sure you've seen that in other SM training threads.

I've done a day with Dene at Cave Adventurers, he got me sorted out enough to start cave training. Chris Brock of cavediving.com is who I did my cave training through, he is also a good sidemount instructor (I bought the rig from CA so I had them do the adjusting).

I've heard that Aqui Watersports is pretty good, but I have no experience with them directly. And they aren't cave divers which is unfortunate. :rofl3:

That being said if a wreck is on it's keel, sidemount sucks. You have to go 90 at every hatch. Every little hose hanger or DC locker grabs out at your tanks. Off of boats it is a pain.

you want sm wreck training.....john chatterton ibelieve is in pompano beach area.
he is quite possibly one of the last people I would ever recommend to a diver if they want to learn good technique and gear configuration. I am not alone in that belief, he is an accomplished diver, but he is not a very good instructor.

@in too deep contact @LandonL or @custureri at Aqui if you want to learn how to sidemount dive properly in sfl

he is quite possibly one of the last people I would ever recommend to a diver if they want to learn good technique and gear configuration. I am not alone in that belief, he is an accomplished diver, but he is not a very good instructor.

@in too deep contact @LandonL or @custureri at Aqui if you want to learn how to sidemount dive properly in sfl
Agree fully. Classic example of big name does not equal great teacher.

If you’re coming to Florida, meet with Edd at cave adventurers or James at Hidden Worlds. Both put out good sm students.
Many many instructors don’t.
One important thing. What sm system did you buy? Each instructor has their preferred systems.

Agree fully. Classic example of big name does not equal great teacher.

If you’re coming to Florida, meet with Edd at cave adventurers or James at Hidden Worlds. Both put out good sm students.
Many many instructors don’t.
One important thing. What sm system did you buy? Each instructor has their preferred systems.
Hollis K2 dual bladder.

he is quite possibly one of the last people I would ever recommend to a diver if they want to learn good technique and gear configuration. I am not alone in that belief, he is an accomplished diver, but he is not a very good instructor

custureri at Aqui if you want to learn how to sidemount dive properly in sfl

i suggested john chatterton based on my assumption that the op wanted to get into sm wreck diving in florida. with his resume, i could think of no one better.
i am shocked to hear he is not regarded as a very good instructor. but i have never trained with him.

for open water sm in florida i would agree that ryan custureri is great choice.

i suggested john chatterton based on my assumption that the op wanted to get into sm wreck diving in florida. with his resume, i could think of no one better.
i am shocked to hear he is not regarded as a very good instructor. but i have never trained with him.
There have been some long threads here discussing some of the issues involved, e.g., deep air dives in his trimix classes.

Back
Top Bottom