Sidemount regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, they're basically a better version of the HOG D3/Zenith combo. There's nothing that radical about the regulator that should make you nervous.

I do not like or recommend Hollis regulators. Low quality control and a wicked high price compared to other manufacturers. Apeks aren't worth the money they charge for it. HOG and Deep6 breathe just about as well, actually have more durable plating on them, and are significantly less money.

You do not need to self service the Deep6, @cerich has said there will be a service plan of some sort, but they will service at their shop in Georgia and mail them back to you. If you want to support your LDS, great, go for it, 100% behind it, but both Hollis and Apeks are horrifically overpriced in this country

I agree that the apex is very pricey however when looking at the sidemount sets there are some differences.

Hog and deep 6 comes with rubber hoses and no swivels. This will cause more regulator movement when you move your head creating jaw fatigue.

Hollis set comes with the miflex hoses and I think the regs are lighter and lower profile than hog limiting jaw fatigue.

Apex comes with miflex hoses and swivels installed as well as bcd and dry suit inflators.

I want swivels and I know you can replace hoses but if you were to upgrade the hoses and add swivels to the hog the price will be close to the Hollis at least.

I have been reading about the deep6 and I like that they give you service kit. My LDS likes them and tried to get deep 6 to let them sell them but deep six does not want to be in the dive shops. I do not see the weight of the 2nd stage in the specs.

If you buy the Deep6 without hoses and get your own miflex and swivels from DGX etc I believe you will still be well ahead price wise. If Chris doesn’t get there first I’ll weigh mine in the morning and give you the weight.

Look around for some used xtx50/dst. I bought two used first and seconds and then had the 5th ports installed. With some hoses and slim spgs, it is functionally the same as the package for a lot less money.

@Octopusprime

I've been diving rubber hoses for years, granted I do it with swivels *$50 from Cave Adventurers*, I VASTLY prefer rubber hoses to braided hoses, especially in sidemount.

What you aren't thinking about is asking the guys selling it if they can make you a package. On Deep6, there is nothing that says you can't just order the first and second stages for $750. Then call up Edd and get the hoses, spg's, and swivels *$250 ish*, and you're in for $1k for exactly what you want. Swivels>elbows in my experience, and then you get exactly the hoses you want. Less than $100 more than the Deep6 package, but you get the swivels, and braided hoses *which most of us don't use or like...*

I assume DRiS is your LDS, so you also have sales tax on that which you wouldn't have ordering online, and at 10%, that's not insignificant.
Now, the sidemount packages on their website now. Add 10% to all of these for sales tax, and subtract anything if Mike is in a good mood that day
  • Hollis LX200-$1400 with no inflator hoses, no swivels, and lower quality regs. That makes no sense, so that's out
  • Apeks-$1550 that's all in, but only one elbow and very expensive. I personally feel that the Deep6 regulators are better than the Apeks quality wise *having taken both of them apart I'm pretty confident in that*, and can't imagine spending 50% more just to have the name so that's out.
  • Dive Rite XT-$850 but no inflator hoses and weird elbows that I'm not a fan of. I also can't dive with a 22" short hose, it just doesn't work for me. The Deep6 are better regulators and worth spending $100 more to get that.
  • Atomic M1-$1540, again no inflator hoses or swivels so add those in. M1's are great regs, and if you're spending in that range I think they're a no brainer over the Apeks and especially the Hollis, but it's a lot of money and they aren't 50% better than the Deep6. Only justification I can really see for this is if Made in USA means that much to you that you're willing to spend that kind of money.
  • Halcyon-$1560-with braided hoses, elbows, the swivel turret first stage, and the better second stages. For that money I'd get the Atomic.
So you can save about $500 and get regs that are easily as good if not better and it will be exactly what you want, or you can spend $100 more over the Dive Rite and get a better reg with again what you want. I know what I would do, but I'm not you.

So I just went to deep6 and put in 2 1st stages, 2 2nd stages and gauges and the price was basically the same as buying with hoses. No real savings.

So I just went to deep6 and put in 2 1st stages, 2 2nd stages and gauges and the price was basically the same as buying with hoses. No real savings.

buy the slimline gauges from CA, they have them for $40 instead of $60 unless you want the orange face. Or just dive with rubber hoses and be glad when they don't rip your neck hair out or abrade your neck seals

I have the dc3/212 Hollis now and I like it. 2nd stage is super light and have not had any jaw fatigue since I bought it.

Since you have had them apart please let me know how the hog/deep6 are better built.

So I did not think about the miflex hoses and neck seals. I dive cold water so I do not think it will matter when diving locally. If I tracked with it warm weather may make a bigger deal.

I had lots of problems with rubber hoses and Recreational reg. Tried many lengths and miflex fixed my issues.

If I did rubber hoses with elbows will it give the same freadom in head movement as miflex?

with ball swivels it will give you much more freedom than the miflex. It also gives you the ability to rotate the ball so it holds the regulator at certain orientations which is super nice for jaw fatigue. I have TMJ so jaw fatigue and I don't get along very well. Rubber hoses with ball swivels are the best option for me.
Diving cold water absolutely matters if you dive with a drysuit.

in terms of build quality, the tolerances are better, the finishing is better, the overall design is better. On a company side, customer service actually exists *AUP's customer service is non-existent*, and while the regs breathe perfectly fine, you are paying 50% more over regs that breathe better, or you are paying that kind of money and getting a Hollis instead of an Atomic. It should be a no-brainer. Add in the fact that that company is at very real risk of going out of business, I'd just as soon avoid it. The DC1-212 is fine if you are getting it for $400 or whatever, but the DCX is just a laughable regulator because of how ridiculously expensive it is

I'm cold mostly as well and with hood over the neck seal it's not a big issue......if concerned use some tape over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom