Question Sidemount Regs M1 or MTX-R?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gills4brains

gills4brains

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tec Diver (mixed gas/cave) looking to upgrade my sidemount regs. Trying to choose between Atomic M1s and Apeks MTX-Rs, but need help deciding on which.

Is there anything you would consider a meaningful upgrade? Not giving up on the hogs, but not entirely sure how long it will take me to find a good tech to work on them.
Just an FYI. I am just south of Pittsburgh in Canonsburg Pa. I have regs in for service now from Virginia and a few weeks ago did some for a customer in California. I also wrote the Deep Six Service manual and the manuals for the regs sold under the DGX label.
The original draft of the service manual for the D3 was also my creation.
I do mail in or drop off service only now due to Covid concerns in my home. I have kits in stock and only charge for the work that needs done.

And if I know the regs are coming, turnaround is roughly 72 hours from the time I get them in my hands. Used to be sooner but my work schedule for my day job has changed and depending on what shift I am on, it can slow things down a little. Also as the season kicks in for many outdoor activities that may add a day.
But if they show up on a day with a couple crappy weather days following, I get them evaluated and a quote sent within 24 hours.
I don't do any work without an approval of the quote. I send that via email and text when possible to minimize any delay in the process.

Is there anything you would consider a meaningful upgrade? Not giving up on the hogs, but not entirely sure how long it will take me to find a good tech to work on them.
Are you interested in learning to do it yourself?

Where are you in PA? I've been hoping to go out to take the HOG service class from Jim. Covid and family health disasters have had me postponing, but hopefully I can put together or tag on to a group this summer.

Are you interested in learning to do it yourself?

Where are you in PA? I've been hoping to go out to take the HOG service class from Jim. Covid and family health disasters have had me postponing, but hopefully I can put together or tag on to a group this summer.

I'm actually in Georgia now. Active duty Army.

Definitely interested in learning to do it myself. I try to be as self-sufficient as possible. I just need to finish acquiring some of the specific tools.

And if I know the regs are coming, turnaround is roughly 72 hours from the time I get them in my hands. Used to be sooner but my work schedule for my day job has changed and depending on what shift I am on, it can slow things down a little. Also as the season kicks in for many outdoor activities that may add a day.
But if they show up on a day with a couple crappy weather days following, I get them evaluated and a quote sent within 24 hours.
I don't do any work without an approval of the quote. I send that via email and text when possible to minimize any delay in the process.

I'm in Georgia now, but definitely interested in having you look at my set.

Not really no. You'll get some minor improvements with some, you'll get a complete change with Poseidon but not sure it's a meaningful upgrade just different. I've taken the D3's over a mile back in a cave, over 200ft deep, etc. during prototype dives and would have no reservations about taking them to any depth or penetration distance in a cave IF they are tuned properly.

Send your regs to @Jim Lapenta or go to Divers Supply in Macon and let them do it, but I would send to Jim and let him get them where they should be and see if your opinions change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom