Question Sidemount Regs M1 or MTX-R?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gills4brains

gills4brains

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tec Diver (mixed gas/cave) looking to upgrade my sidemount regs. Trying to choose between Atomic M1s and Apeks MTX-Rs, but need help deciding on which.

what are you upgrading from?
Why do you think these are an upgrade?
What made you choose these two wildly different regulators?
What other makes/models were ruled out and why?

M1 and MTX-R are very different regulator designs, it's a bizarre comparison to look at without any of the above questions answered.

What are you using now that it requires upgrading? Without knowing what or why, you may be able to get a set that will do just as well for much less.

I would suggest Apeks xtx50's for regs. I use this for my primary sidemount configuration with Deep 6 regs. for backup. MTX-R are great regs also but unless you are diving in 30's degree waters not worth the additional expense.

what are you upgrading from?
Why do you think these are an upgrade?
What made you choose these two wildly different regulators?
What other makes/models were ruled out and why?

M1 and MTX-R are very different regulator designs, it's a bizarre comparison to look at without any of the above questions answered.
Upgrading from Hog D3s. I've had the Hogs for two years and they never completely impressed me (they were a budget buy while in law school). I've had free-flow issues with them, and other durability issues. Obviously for tech diving the last though you want to have is "gee I hope my regs are functioning properly."

As far as how I arrived at those two models: my impression is that they are some of the more highly regarded regs in the tech industry. If you have an alternate suggestion instead, I would love to hear it!

I dive both Apeks XTX50/DST and Dive Rite regs. Both have the fifth port and rotating turret that make hose routing nicer.

I would suggest Apeks xtx50's for regs. I use this for my primary sidemount configuration with Deep 6 regs. for backup. MTX-R are great regs also but unless you are diving in 30's degree waters not worth the additional expense.
I do a fair bit of great lakes diving, and could see myself doing a good bit of ice diving at some point down the road. That's where that idea came from, but I'm not married to the MTX-Rs

I do a fair bit of great lakes diving, and could see myself doing a good bit of ice diving at some point down the road. That's where that idea came from, but I'm not married to the MTX-Rs

I’ve used both my regs pretty cold. I have plenty of friends who take the DR under ice (I’m in the Midwest).

MTX's are great regs but over $500 difference between set of XTX-50's and they are also enviormentaly sealed.I have dove at Dutch Springs in February in 34 degree water and my XTX's were perfect. On my Deep 6 regs. with HP tanks in cold water air leaks until reaches 3000 psi.

Upgrading from Hog D3s. I've had the Hogs for two years and they never completely impressed me (they were a budget buy while in law school). I've had free-flow issues with them, and other durability issues. Obviously for tech diving the last though you want to have is "gee I hope my regs are functioning properly."

As far as how I arrived at those two models: my impression is that they are some of the more highly regarded regs in the tech industry. If you have an alternate suggestion instead, I would love to hear it!
I have a sidemount set of Hog D1's and not impressed with them at all- same issues as you, that is why I switched to Apeks for tech or cave...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom