Question Sidemount rebreather as a first rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I read a number of threads about sidemount rebreathers and how the general consensus is that its best to start with a back mounted unit. Now, I am not planning to get a rebreather in the near-term future, but I am reading and learning about them so here comes the question:

Often, a SM rebreather is discussed within the context of the SW, so is the recommendation to start with a back mounted unit comes from all the SW-specific quality issues, or is it coming from some inherit problems that all SM rebreathers have? Perhaps a mix of the two? (ex. 80% SW quality issues, 20% SM rebreathers design issues)?

And just to add more context, I am interested in rebreathers for cave diving, not deep diving (the deepest I have been to is 50m and unless Atlantis is found, I don't think I will surpass that depth).

I was thinking of starting a similar thread. I'm torn between the Gemini and Choptima (and Fathom BM, given the ubiquitous advice against the SW (and maybe the Gemini?), as a "first unit"). I'm also looking at it mainly from the perspective of cave diving, with a bit of deeper OW wrecks (40-100m) as well. Apparently, none are perfect for all scenarios, so I'm going to need more than one!

I am on the same boat and getting my first unit next month. Majority of people I have spoken advised against sidemount/chest mount units as a first CCR.

I am on the same boat and getting my first unit next month. Majority of people I have spoken advised against sidemount/chest mount units as a first CCR.

May I ask why they advise against a SM CCR as the first unit? Is it because WOB disadvantages? More complexity in handling? Something else?

I am diving SM and look to try out a few different CCR units this year and I'm not sure if the convertible ones (like the Liberty or SF2) are good options..

May I ask why they advise against a SM CCR as the first unit? Is it because WOB disadvantages? More complexity in handling? Something else?

I am diving SM and look to try out a few different CCR units this year and I'm not sure if the convertible ones (like the Liberty or SF2) are good options..
Majority of the arguments revolving around concept of “you don’t know what you don’t know and you don’t know what you won’t like” so BM unit with 2-3L on board tanks seems safe bet for helitrox/ART level. Otherwise I was super keen to get Choptima.

Also it more depends on type of diving you do, open ocean technical diving versus overhead/restricted places plays a big role on the choice.

Sidemount oc and sidemount rebreathers have very little in common, and skills from one don't necessarily translate to skills on the other.
Side mount rebreathers demand much more attention, require more gear and still do their jobs at a "meh" level compared to backmount units.
Doesn't mean you can't do them as a first rebreather, just expect to have some hiccups that you would not with a bm unit.

I read a number of threads about sidemount rebreathers and how the general consensus is that its best to start with a back mounted unit.
This really sounds like ongoing debates of a move from single to double tanks (and whether or not it is 'better' to move to backmount doubles first, and only moving to sidemount when you really need that 'special tool'). Apart from any issues that may have occurred in SM rebreathers, this very much sounds like the same discussion.

I read a number of threads about sidemount rebreathers and how the general consensus is that its best to start with a back mounted unit. Now, I am not planning to get a rebreather in the near-term future, but I am reading and learning about them so here comes the question:

Often, a SM rebreather is discussed within the context of the SW, so is the recommendation to start with a back mounted unit comes from all the SW-specific quality issues, or is it coming from some inherit problems that all SM rebreathers have? Perhaps a mix of the two? (ex. 80% SW quality issues, 20% SM rebreathers design issues)?

And just to add more context, I am interested in rebreathers for cave diving, not deep diving (the deepest I have been to is 50m and unless Atlantis is found, I don't think I will surpass that depth).

The sidemount rebreather with regards to the Sidewinder is a relatively new phenomenon in the last 2-3yrs as it became very popular. The recommendations against sidemount as a first rebreather actually go much farther back to the KISS Sidekick which was probably the first commercial sidemount rebreather.
It is important to distinguish a true sidemount rebreather, Liberty, SF2, Sidekick, from the Sidewinder which is not actually a sidemounted rebreather, it's a REALLY wide backmount rebreather. The list of reasons why the sidemount specific units aren't ideal as a first rebreather don't necessarily apply to the Sidewinder but the Sidewinder itself has some concerns for a new rebreather diver due to its design. Some of these are addressed in the 2.0 that was released this week but not all of them.

Back
Top Bottom