Sidemount questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ok - guys. I'd like a little basic info about sidemount.
I've just finished reading 'The Cave Divers' from Robert Burgess and from that I glean that sidemount is probably the way to go for OC cave diving. (of course CCR is probably even better, but we won't go there). This is actually quite interesting for someone who lives in Japan (like me) - as we have a few problems with gear here. For a start we can only use Japanese tanks with Japanese valves and that makes it hard to get hold of things like manifolded doubles (as Japanese manifolds are very hard to come by). Presumably, using tanks sidemounted is basically using independant singles? Is that correct? How does that work out in further gear configuration? I presume a slightly different BCD? or is it possible to simply modify something like a Transpac/Wing for use without a tank mounted onto it to hold it in place?
I would really appreciate if someone could fill me in here on what is involved.

I am moving on from Cavern to Intro to Cave quite soon so I need to work out the best solution for suitable equipment to use in Japan. Sidemount would seem to present some definite advantages considering the laws here.

Thanks Fred. Judging from a quick glance at that I already have some of the right gear as I already have a TranspacII. This might be not only a good - but cheaper solution. It's not often you can say that about scuba!! :D

Kim, maybe you should speak to Curt Bowen or one of your countrymen AkioMtFuji (i see his name a bunch elsewhere with sidemount on it) and one of our other guru's Mike Ferrera. Curt produces a BCD like apparatus (armadillo) on the side as well. Other than that, what i have seen of most guys diving in a more traditional sidemount configuration around here is a BP/W, with the wing strapped down fairly tight (to prevent it tacoing up due to no tank), they run the tanks off their shoulder D-rings (connected to the tank neck by a clip) and off a specially adapted harness piece that goes across the butt that you clip the bottom or the tank to. They then weight as needed on the tanks to keep them fairly neutral so they can pass the tanks off through no-mount restrictions, however you wont be doing restrictions at intro level. I think Fred asked a while back about doing cavern and intro in sidemount and didnt hear too many objections for the reason he was wanting to go that way. Others with far more experience will probably shed more light, but i just thought i would tell you what i believe i have seen around this area.

Some more info from our very own board for your digestion:
Sidemount intro to cave instruction
Independant doubles

There were other references, but nothing substantial that i could find. Another source of reference is Duncan Price a UK sump/cave diver, he was even over here at some point, not sure if he is on this board or TDS or CDF, but i know he is around somewhere!

simbrooks:
There were other references, but nothing substantial that i could find. Another source of reference is Duncan Price a UK sump/cave diver, he was even over here at some point, not sure if he is on this board or TDS or CDF, but i know he is around somewhere!

I have some information posted on www.sump4.com/sidemount fairly specific to sump diving as practiced under UK conditions where there are few opportunities to dive using backmounted cylinders and cave divers adopt sidemount from the start.

Duncan

Dear Kim,
In sidemout diving you can use any two independent tanks.
I've been diving sidemount for a couple of years now, i'm cavern certified too and planning to move on soon, but i also use sidemounting in Greece during the summers where i shoot underwater video, and stay in fairly shallow waters for extended periods of time.(no doubles available) I currently use a transpac with trekwings for steel 95's , and a classic wing for anything bigger, or when i use bigger camera/housings/lights www.sidemount.com you can find alot of info from bill rennaker who is the expert, and it also shows you how to rig the current configurations i mentioned above. Another great, cheap(but it's also indestructable!) alternative that i've extensively used in the past is the dragon sidemount rig...(http://www.dragon-speleo.co.uk/contents/front.html).... it's cheap 100$ plus the great feature is that you can attach diverite, zeagle, apeks or sherwood wings.....!!!! They are great people to deal with and will ship anywhere!! There is also the armadillo sidemount www.advancedivermagazine.com.....i've heard good and bad things about it, i can't judge because i've never used it, but i believe it isn't very expandable....(i could be wrong, but i think you can only use a single back mounted tank on). Since you already have a Transpac that would be your best choice! Just order the sidemount kit from diverite and try it out. If you have any other question you can email me at Gaiio@aol.com...regards, Billy

Download the FREE Armadillo sidemount manual at

www.advanceddivermagazine.com

You can either go the easy route and buy a harness from me for $550 or take my design and have someone stitch one up for you.

It took us several years of testing to come up with this design, but has proven itself all over the world in many different caves and even wrecks.

Curt Bowen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom