Question Sidemount or backmount doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With SideMount, you can often carry each tank independently, and can even don or doff tanks in the water. I practically NEVER walk with 2 tanks swinging from d-rings, any more than a couple feet into the water. Did your situation require you to carry them both at the same time?
Had a few shore entries where I'd rather suffer once than twice, but yes with sidemount you can split the weight.

With SideMount, you can often carry each tank independently, and can even don or doff tanks in the water. I practically NEVER walk with 2 tanks swinging from d-rings, any more than a couple feet into the water. Did your situation require you to carry them both at the same time?
There are a few rocky entries where sidemount, where I can move the cylinder separately from me, is the safest option. I actually make 3 trips: each cylinder separately, and then myself all kitted up. If I were to enter with a steel twinset, slip and fall, I'm going to have a bad rest of my day.

Also depends how you rig your tins. If using a "standard" stage rigging kit (skewed 45°) and clip to a lower chest D-ring (use the nipple height one for clipping stuff off to and another mounted a couple of inches lower to clip the cylinder), it's easy to walk and bend over to pick them up & clip on.

Also depends how you rig your tins. If using a "standard" stage rigging kit (skewed 45°) and clip to a lower chest D-ring (use the nipple height one for clipping stuff off to and another mounted a couple of inches lower to clip the cylinder), it's easy to walk and bend over to pick them up & clip on.
Do you mean bring one at a time, 2 tanks swinging on d rings can't be as secure as a back mounted twinset where both arms are free.

Depends where you're diving and what tins you have. Was given the "standard" rigging kit tip by a sump-diving caver as it's easier to carry the tins with the noses clipped off. It's also easier to bend forwards and clip them on, then stand upright and carry them -- swinging or tail-clipped to the waistbelt.

Who taught your cave ccr class? Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you get your first CCR/Choptima two months ago? @rddvet point three is largely valid, and the lack of understanding of said point is why so many people run around cave country with insufficient bailout.
I sit corrected, @mdwalter took his first CCR Mod 1 class in mid March, three months prior to this thread, is preaching his CCR knowledge to the masses, and finds most of my, @tbone104, and @rddvet points “confusing.”

While a larger single tank does have a larger front profile and as such does obviously increase drag, it is not only insignificant but it is imperceptible to the diver. Doubles are definitely something you can notice from a drag profile.

On your less gas comment. The CCR replaces your "in" gas, but does not replace the out gas. You have to be going a LONG way "in" before it makes an appreciable difference.
Your comments about shorter bottom times requiring less gas is very wrong though because it does not account for hypercapnia where you need to plan for at least 5 minutes at 2cfm SAC rate to deal with hypercapnia which should be a fixed amount for any CCR bailout planning. Basically 10cf/ATA, PLUS the rest of the gas for return/ascent.

The comments about direct ascent imply that you are actually in an area that you can make a safe direct ascent. I have not encountered many of those in the real world, the vast majority are infinitely safer to carry the appropriate bailout gas to get back to the anchor line and come up as planned. "No one died from having too much gas"
@mdwalter what can I clarify for you in this post since you marked it as "confusing"?

Back
Top Bottom