Sidemount mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Michael

actually, the default setting Shearwater is switching cylinders every 21 bar, not every 30 bar. Anyway, you can set the pressure difference in the AI-Setup (System Setup -> AI Setup -> SM-Change). In the AI-Setup you also set the SM-mode (System Setup -> AI Setup -> GTR Mode: SM: T1 + T2). I have a Perdix, not a Teric.

Best wishes Jens

Hi everyone,

So, I have a Perdix AI and a Teric, both with the latest available firmware. I also have two Swift transmitters, again with the latest firmware - to my knowledge.
I’ve set my computers to S/M mode with recommended switch every 30 bars. When putting my Sidemount kit together in the dive shop, I actually saw the Perdix indicating with a green dot which tank it recommended me to use. Unfortunately, that was also the last time I saw it do it. I’ve done four dives now and never once did either computer seem to at all recognize that I was in Sidemount mode. They just refused to indicate recommended bottle and also they in all other respects seemed to regard the tanks as individuals.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? The documentation on this feature from Shearwater is unfortunately pretty much non-existent. They brush over that the mode exists but don’t really at all explain how to use it nor what to expect?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks/Mike
You're supposed to do the thinking. You should know when to switch as you monitor your gas; expecting the computer to tell you just seems wrong: it's proof that you're not paying attention and the shiny kit is getting in the way.

When I dive sidemount, I'll try to leave within 30 bar (30 x 15 = ???psi) between each side. Therefore start with the left, breathe that down to right minus 30 bar, then switch to right and breath that down from left PLUS 30 bar down to left MINUS 30 bar (i.e. 60 bar), then switch to left and repeat.

But all of that depends what you're doing and the likelyhood of problems, etc.

"The thinking diver" is all you need to be.

Seems that the shiny technical stuff's getting in the way of thinking.

When I dive sidemount, I'll try to leave within 30 bar (30 x 15 = ???psi) between each side. Therefore start with the left, breath that down to right minus 30 bar, then switch to right and breath that down from left PLUS 30 bar down to left MINUS 30 bar (i.e. 60 bar), then switch to left and repeat.
Maybe you should have thought about this more so everyone could understand it lol

I get it because I do my changes the same way, do you want to have another go so someone learning can get it?

Maybe you should have thought about this more so everyone could understand it lol

I get it because I do my changes the same way, do you want to have another go so someone learning can get it?
Maybe someone could do the tiktok video of it set to some pop music?

As you well know, there's other considerations about how you switch each side in sidemount including how much you want to "protect" the longhose side -- ass-u-me that you're using a longhose and not using two short ones as preferred by some cave divers.

Hi everyone,

So I’ve solved my own question, more about that in a second…
I just want to address the part of my own responsibility etc. Of course, I’m fully aware of that and I am always not only thinking about every aspects of what I’m doing, and I am always monitoring my levels as well as thinking about having the long hose ready should it be ready help my buddy.

My question was merely, that I thought that the mode would indicate the recommended active tank at all times, no matter what I’m doing in my mind. I’ve even checked with Shearwater, as per the suggestion above, they replied that it should be working.

Turns out that’s not the case; I was diving this last weekend and I noticed now, that the little dot only shows up as a reminder when the 30 bars have been used (since that’s what I’ve set) but it then disappears again. So it’s not on at all times.

So, thank you everyone who took your time to try and help me!

Thanks Mike

Hi everyone,

So I’ve solved my own question, more about that in a second…
I just want to address the part of my own responsibility etc. Of course, I’m fully aware of that and I am always not only thinking about every aspects of what I’m doing, and I am always monitoring my levels as well as thinking about having the long hose ready should it be ready help my buddy.

My question was merely, that I thought that the mode would indicate the recommended active tank at all times, no matter what I’m doing in my mind. I’ve even checked with Shearwater, as per the suggestion above, they replied that it should be working.

Turns out that’s not the case; I was diving this last weekend and I noticed now, that the little dot only shows up as a reminder when the 30 bars have been used (since that’s what I’ve set) but it then disappears again. So it’s not on at all times.

So, thank you everyone who took your time to try and help me!

Thanks Mike
This might be trite -- don't mean it that way...

All divers must be in command and control of their own diving. Computers are great, but they can mess up big time and it's only the diver's fault, not the computer's. Examples could include the wrong settings (I swear I changed the gas settings), misinterpretation (too much info, less really can be more), mis-reading the info (depth isn't time, etc.), or just plain konfuzion caused by being underwater (nobody, and I mean nobody ever becomes more intelligent underwater -- I reckon my IQ halves underwater!)

Less is more. More time spent with the same kit and config makes things easier.

This might be trite -- don't mean it that way...

All divers must be in command and control of their own diving. Computers are great, but they can mess up big time and it's only the diver's fault, not the computer's. Examples could include the wrong settings (I swear I changed the gas settings), misinterpretation (too much info, less really can be more), mis-reading the info (depth isn't time, etc.), or just plain konfuzion caused by being underwater (nobody, and I mean nobody ever becomes more intelligent underwater -- I reckon my IQ halves underwater!)

Less is more. More time spent with the same kit and config makes things easier.
Absolutely, totally agree! But as I've been trying to say several times, I am NOT looking for a cheat-way not to have to be in control. I am in control at all times. I was just curious about this feature, which after all was a part of the firmware update, so apparently, Shearwater must have seen a use for it.
There doesn't seem to be a way to close a thread here. So everyone - thank you for your input, but this one is solved and closed. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom