Sidemount intro to cave instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
This is the reason I'd rig sidemount.
Personally, I ain't squeezin' through *anything*.
Yeah, I know, I'm missing lots of gorgeous cave... but first I want to explore all the BIG ones :)
Rick

But...some of the cave that's a squeez in backmounts is big in sidemounts and you don't have to squeez.

Personally I dive sidemount...

I also think that it should be a student's choice to choose. I have no issue with a student wanting to learn cave in sidemount. I do however suggest that anyone wanting to learn in sidemount must have a certain number of dives in the gear prior to the class. But of course this only works if the instructors are doing their part... :)

I prefer sidemount. The problem I think is the system here in Florida is not set up to do it. It would require more time to teach and you would have to have a specialized class to do it from cavern on. I too think it's a better form of cave diving for the same reasons as you guys. Maybe someone should set up a training plan to start doing it here. Mayby adopt the TDI plan they use in Europe. Like I said I plan on doing my full cave cert in side mount.
But I want ot finish My Advanced Nitrox and Deco first. I too will split my doubles to use for side mount.
Fred

I think the CDS, the NACD and IANTD all teach it as a specialty. I don't know what standards have to say about using them in entry level cave instruction but I think if you looked you might be able to find an instructor to do it.

I have a custom sidemount harness but it needs some mods and I''m short of tanks and I'm not breaking down my doubles.

I guess the question that I have is if you do your cave training in caves like Peacock with sidemounts, what did you occomplish?

I don't know that it takes much instruction to throw together a sidemount rig and dive it. I'm not sure that some of the caves that "require" sidemount are appropriate for "most" new cave divers though.

I do know a guy who is an experienced dry caver. He learned to dive for only one reason and that's because of the sumps that were preventing him from going further. He went streight from OW class to cave training and from there he pretty much went streight to Kentucky and sidemounts. There isn't really any choice in most of those caves. He only has a hand full of OW dives and only a hand full of backmount dives but he had experience in those caves though.

I've been in a couple of those caves that are divable backmount and you sure wouldn't mistake the place for Florida. LOL

I think there are cavers who want to cave under water and divers who want to dive in caves and the two may be very different.

I would not be opposed to teaching a class with the diver in sidemount config. I do agree that they should take a adv nitrox/deco class before full cave. The Intro level not only introduces the cave to the diver, it teaches them awarness and to monitor their time and gas obligations. At Intro level the cave diver is to prevent going into deco requirements. I do believe that you should if possible introduce the use of doubles or sidemount at the cavern level while still in the open water zone to build the diver's skills. The student however needs to know and observe standards. No instructor can control a student once out of the instructor's sight. By all means give them the tools they need right from the start.

GDI:
I do agree that they should take a adv nitrox/deco class before full cave.

{off topic}Why? I have never really understood this...is it a regional thing? The cave dives here in the UK are rarely deep or long enough (<100 ft) to make nitrox and deco that common. I guess the same situation largely applies in the Yucatan.

I would be very interested in getting a recognised US agency based ticket if I could do the course in sidemounts...

The principal issue about training from #1 in sidemounts is the different approach to buddy/team diving which arises due to the potential for being out of reach (in a confined space) of your buddy and gas sharing with independents.

I would agree largely with Curt's 6 points (perhaps we can agree to differ on #5?).

Duncan

Duncan Price:
{off topic}Why? I have never really understood this...is it a regional thing? The cave dives here in the UK are rarely deep or long enough (<100 ft) to make nitrox and deco that common. I guess the same situation largely applies in the Yucatan.

One of the advantages is that the Advanced Nitroxlevel course are an OW intro to doubles and technical diving. Cave training is, IMO, much easier if you can already dive. It's easier on the cave too.
I would be very interested in getting a recognised US agency based ticket if I could do the course in sidemounts...

I'd be willing to bet that you could arrange such a thing pretty easily.

Here in Florida.
There are a couple that go as deep as 300+ ft (100m) not to mention the distance you can travel. Some require trimix. Even some of the sink holes go to 240 ft (80m) 90 to 150 is common. You can end up in deco easily. That's why Adv Nitrox and deco training is recommended but it's not manditory.
Fred

fgray1:
Here in Florida.
There are a couple that go as deep as 300+ ft (100m) not to mention the distance you can travel. Some require trimix. Even some of the sink holes go to 240 ft (80m) 90 to 150 is common. You can end up in deco easily. That's why Adv Nitrox and deco training is recommended but it's not manditory.
Fred

Some of our Missouri caves are pretty deep too but I've never been any deeper than about 15 ft in a Kentucky cave. LOL

Duncan Price:

The principal issue about training from #1 in sidemounts is the different approach to buddy/team diving which arises due to the potential for being out of reach (in a confined space) of your buddy and gas sharing with independents.

I would agree largely with Curt's 6 points (perhaps we can agree to differ on #5?).

Duncan

Duncan #5 says cleanest rig with a built in BCD. Yours is just as clean, but no built in BCD. I need built in BCD because in the hot climates we dive in a dry suit would kill us from overheating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom