sidemount hp 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you 4'6" tall?
People don't have to try everything to know how it will/won't work. Most tech divers avoid hp80s because they are short tanks leading to a high center of gravity which makes for very light feet. And they don't hold much gas. So outfitting them for SM isn't really worth the trouble.

I don't have a light foot issue and dive l.p. 72s, thought the weight characteristics of the hp 80 would help out... So your answer is no you haven't tried it

Unless you are really short they will not be an ideal tank. They are too short and therefore put too much weight too far up on your body. I'd take those lp72's over HP 80's any day for SM. Get good fill in them and you have 80 cu ft tanks.

The HP 80's are so short that you'd have a problem getting the bands into proper position on them to even start to get in some kind of decent trim.

And the reason that people are telling you they would be a problem is because they likely have a good understanding of what good sidemount tanks are and how to trim them out. It's not being snarky. It;'s an understanding of basic physics where a lever is concerned.

We don't have to waste money and time trying it. Just look at what proper SM trim is and where the tanks need to ride. Unless, again, you're a little person they just are not a decent choice. Find another set of LP 72's.

My experience has been the opposite. I find the HP80 to be ideal for weight and trim, particularly the PST. My Fabers tend to make me a little foot heavy. Why they trim differently is a bit of a mystery, but a couple of pounds on the shoulders fixes that. I am 5' 10".

Unless you are really short they will not be an ideal tank. They are too short and therefore put too much weight too far up on your body. I'd take those lp72's over HP 80's any day for SM. Get good fill in them and you have 80 cu ft tanks.

The HP 80's are so short that you'd have a problem getting the bands into proper position on them to even start to get in some kind of decent trim.

And the reason that people are telling you they would be a problem is because they likely have a good understanding of what good sidemount tanks are and how to trim them out. It's not being snarky. It;'s an understanding of basic physics where a lever is concerned.

We don't have to waste money and time trying it. Just look at what proper SM trim is and where the tanks need to ride. Unless, again, you're a little person they just are not a decent choice. Find another set of LP 72's.

I have to agree with the consensus that they may be a bit short. I have tried HP 80's in side mount and found they didn't trim right for me. I am 5'10" about 165lbs. I have found also that a lot depends on your exposure suit selection. Keep that in mind when trying to trim up. I have a much better time with my HP 117's and will let you know how the new 100's I just got work out. I am using a UTD type wing with ring bungees at the top for a hard attachment instead of the loops. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Send us pics please.
I would like to see them in and out of the water to see how they ride.
If you ride the valves lower than normal towards your center it might be possible.
I dive many tanks but not all of them trim well never tried HP 80's.

It seems like anything is possible but some tanks are not worth the trimming hassle.
If you have to complicate your rig to much you loose the versatile nature of using many different tanks.
That sounds confusing but what I am getting at AL 80's will dive very different than HP steel 80' if you adapt your rig to the HP tanks, unless they are your only tanks you would be limiting your rig.
Assuming that you do not want to tear it down to adapt your SM rig for each change of different tanks.
I apologize if this is getting confusing.

CamG

I have a set of Faber HP71's coming this week. I know guys that have used them and they trim fine.

They have similar properties to the HP80's

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom