Sidemount hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of oring failures causing minor bubbles with some 90 degree swivels and atomic ball swivels which were detected during the bubble checks.

I also stopped using any 2nd regulator that does not have an adjustment knob, so I can tune out a minor seat wear issue.

It's not fun to go out 20-30 miles and have to abort a dive.

Last edited:
I don't see the rant :p

I have been using mk25s for a long time. 5 yrs of sidemounting in various ways. I like have the swivel first for both the necklace (short) hose off the left bottle and the long hose on the right. The swivels are also handy for sidemounted offboard CCR bottles that have a 2nd stage and a QC6 coming off them. The only top/end port I use is when on OC the top port of my right hand 1st stage routes to my drysuit.

Turret firsts, SPG's down (that curb feeler sh*t pisses me off to no end), inflators on 5th ports, left goes to wing inflator, right to drysuit, long hose on the turret can spin freely, short hose on the turret spins for best routing. 90 on the short hose for comfort.

Running an xDeep.

I haven't had any problems pushing bottles out in front of me with either, and if I'm in a restriction tight enough that I have to extend the bottle so far out that it would tug on the drysuit inflator, I'm uncoupling the drysuit inflator to prevent inadvertent inflation.

I haven't been diving traditional SM for awhile as I've been focusing on "another" system, but my traditional SM uses the HOG first stages with 5th ports and I did notice some pulling on the hoses when moving the bottles forward, simple fix was to bungee the SPGs looped to the first stages (like deco regs) so its a much shorter move forward, far better than the lollipops/curb feelers but not quite as protected/clean as running down the tank.

Turret firsts, SPG's down (that curb feeler sh*t pisses me off to no end), inflators on 5th ports, left goes to wing inflator, right to drysuit, long hose on the turret can spin freely, short hose on the turret spins for best routing. 90 on the short hose for comfort.

Running an xDeep.

I haven't had any problems pushing bottles out in front of me with either, and if I'm in a restriction tight enough that I have to extend the bottle so far out that it would tug on the drysuit inflator, I'm uncoupling the drysuit inflator to prevent inadvertent inflation.

the "curb feelers" are a setup error and not inherent to spg's up. I've seen a lot of SPG's down that drag just as much because people use big 2" gauges and the tank orientation causes them to sag into the silt. If you have the tanks set up properly, the HP hoses should actually be slightly bend down by your arm pit

If they are running gauges down and they are dragging, they have bigger issues with their tank setup than the size of their gauges. SPG's up are stupid. There's no reason to have them anywhere other than streamlined along the tank.

I run mine straight up, on a 3 inch hose. They ride right inside my armpit and a simple turn of the head allowes me to see them. They don't stick out at all and most other divers don't even notice them. They look a little funny on shore but are very practical in the water.

Hello tbone. What’s good? What size spgs do you run? 1.5 or 1.75? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom