sidemount bcd reviews/opinions for someone looking to buy 1st SM setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started SM using a Katana 2. My first dive was yesterday after adjusting everything with a buddy that already knows the Katana's.

I can only say WOW. It is a totally different feeling of just levitating. I went in with just a single AL80 that had barely 1800psi in it (wanted to figure out the correct weights that I needed). The only issue that I had doing the single, was at about 750psi. I had to start "counter balancing" for the added buoyancy of the single AL80.

Will be doing more SM dives this next weekend.

I have been single tank side diving for my past three dives.

No problems so far. So I can attest that there is no buoyancy problem while doing it.

Right now, Iam using the Katana 2 with 6 pounds of additional weights. Iam 5'9" 168 pounds. Next dive, I will try to go down with only 4 pounds.

I have the stealth tec 2.0. I bought it because at home I dive steel tanks and a stage in Lake Travis. I have been in Cozumel for 5 months doing 4 hour dives so I'm wearing a 7 mil wetsuit and diving 3 AL80s. At the end of the dive I needed 20 lbs of lead although after 300+ hours in the water the wetsuit is crushed enough that I've been able to go to 18 lbs. Still at the beginning of the dive with full tanks and a crushed suit at 40 meters and 20 lbs of lead, I'm glad to have the lift of the regular wing and it is a bit easier to don and doff than the classic wing. I would not have guessed that I would want this kind of lift in warm water diving but it is what it is and I'm really glad I didn't get a Razor.

I have the deco rig and so does my daughter. I used some of sumpuk’s hardware to customize it but that wasn’t necessary. You can easily handle a couple 80’s with it, but keep in mind the lift is only 22lbs if you inflate it into a beach ball. Realistically you only get around 8 lbs of lift comfortably. With that said, i also bought an xdeep classic wing when i started tec diving because i needed more lift. I used my original harness and with the classic wing have no problems with steel tanks and multiple stages/deco bottles.

Hi Bowers, i'm thinking of the getting the deco rig too , need your advise on the pros and cons , and for the setup do you attach the bladder to the harness or just wrap around with bungee? Thank in advance...!
I have the deco rig and so does my daughter. I used some of sumpuk’s hardware to customize it but that wasn’t necessary. You can easily handle a couple 80’s with it, but keep in mind the lift is only 22lbs if you inflate it into a beach ball. Realistically you only get around 8 lbs of lift comfortably. With that said, i also bought an xdeep classic wing when i started tec diving because i needed more lift. I used my original harness and with the classic wing have no problems with steel tanks and multiple stages/deco bottles.

Hi Bowers, i'm thinking of the getting the deco rig too , need your advise on the pros and cons , and for the setup do you attach the bladder to the harness or just wrap around with bungee? Thank in advance...!
Hi tigerkai,
The pros are price and simplicity. The cons are that it is designed for one style of diving. If you want to customize you need to buy more hardware. I dove with it as bought for a while and it was fine but later on started adding drings and swapped the plates for what sump uk offers. I attach the top and bottom of the wing to the spine strap and lumbar plate with some paracord to keep it at the right height, but then attach bungee to the side holes and just bungee it around my waist to hold it on while diving. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom