Sidemount 2 doubles sets (4 cylinders total)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I find anything over 8 impractical sidemount. ;-)
Tomasz wrote the following for that video (I bolded the relevant portion below). The man has mad skills, that is certain.

Sidemount 10 cylinders. Well, the idea came to me after my two-week-long courses in salt waters of Italy. I simply needed to cleanse the gear so I decided I would try to take all my regulators to the fresh water at one time. It took me a couple of hours to get all the bungees, boltsnaps, cambands, drings, harness and wings ready for the setup. In multistage configuration I use two wings by XDEEP: Tec wing as main and Classic for trimming in order to compensate for the weight of the regulators and positive bottoms of the alu cylinders in the course of the dive. This time I took 8 kilos with me to the main pocket, equipped the cylinders with regs and as you can see the top bladder is almost full. Although I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed the attempt I DO NOT THINK THIS SETUP IS DIVEABLE!!! For me, it doesn't make any sense to take 10 cylinders in sidemount for a serious dive. To be honest, apart from wishing to cleanse my gear I also wanted to try if I can set the tanks in a perfect trim and still be able to move and remain stable and neutrally buoayant without having to move my fins too much. I mean streamlined and trimmed cylinders, not attached randomly (in fact I could actually add a few on a leash with no problems...but what for?). In addition, there is another positive factor of this experiment: after the 10-tank dive, when I donned „only” 6 cylinders (a setup I often use YES! Even diving from a boat!) it felt so easy...and I felt like a butterfly:). So to cut the long story short; please, do not attempt to copy this, or if you wish to do so be aware of the risk involved. 6 cylinders is more than enough! For extremely deep dives you have another type of equipment. Dive safely! With best regards. Michur. (Sidemount Silesia)

I currently sidemount 2x 80s And 2x 40 for deco gases and I don’t see the need to sidemount more or bigger cylinders.
Anything longer or deeper BM just makes more sense.

Although I’m gonna try SM 4x80s sometime in the near future it’s more just for shits and giggles I can’t see it being more practical than a big twinset
I have a project where I doubt I'll have time to get on a rebreather (baby due in November, can't see myself diving a whole lot after my daughter is born). Depths will be 55 to 60 meters. I have no issue with 4 cylinders in sidemount, but would like to be proficient with 6. I will probably have to cut my dive time, as I doubt I'll have time to practice with 6. Why not backmount? Not available, and not practical for fills.

If you're already doing sidemount, why stop there

Go the farthest take the most and be the greatest

Sidemount in the ocean?

full.jpg
Hmmm!

Tomasz wrote the following for that video (I bolded the relevant portion below). The man has mad skills, that is certain.

Sidemount 10 cylinders. Well, the idea came to me after my two-week-long courses in salt waters of Italy. I simply needed to cleanse the gear so I decided I would try to take all my regulators to the fresh water at one time. It took me a couple of hours to get all the bungees, boltsnaps, cambands, drings, harness and wings ready for the setup. In multistage configuration I use two wings by XDEEP: Tec wing as main and Classic for trimming in order to compensate for the weight of the regulators and positive bottoms of the alu cylinders in the course of the dive. This time I took 8 kilos with me to the main pocket, equipped the cylinders with regs and as you can see the top bladder is almost full. Although I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed the attempt I DO NOT THINK THIS SETUP IS DIVEABLE!!! For me, it doesn't make any sense to take 10 cylinders in sidemount for a serious dive. To be honest, apart from wishing to cleanse my gear I also wanted to try if I can set the tanks in a perfect trim and still be able to move and remain stable and neutrally buoayant without having to move my fins too much. I mean streamlined and trimmed cylinders, not attached randomly (in fact I could actually add a few on a leash with no problems...but what for?). In addition, there is another positive factor of this experiment: after the 10-tank dive, when I donned „only” 6 cylinders (a setup I often use YES! Even diving from a boat!) it felt so easy...and I felt like a butterfly:). So to cut the long story short; please, do not attempt to copy this, or if you wish to do so be aware of the risk involved. 6 cylinders is more than enough! For extremely deep dives you have another type of equipment. Dive safely! With best regards. Michur. (Sidemount Silesia)

Brilliant. I particularly like that this was an inventive way of cleaning his gear. It appeals to my nerdy and lazy traits in equal measure!

as
Any members have experience with the following configuration: a sidemounted double set left and sidemounted double set right?

I've tried the configuration in a local pool and had no issues.

A standard stage kit was used - placed on the top cylinder at the neck and in the thread hole of the manifold spacing(stainless steel plate between the band loops).

I was able to attach both bolt snaps: top bolt snap attaches to chest d-ring and the bottom bolt snap attaches to hip d-ring.

A total of four cylinders, were donned while at the surface of the water.

Weights could be added/strapped to the cylinders, in addition to accessories and tools. The band shape allows for the diver to have consistent trim and holds/placements.

*if your harness does not have hip d-rings, you may have difficulty.

Thanks!
as others have eluded to if you want to see if you can do it then by all means go have fun but unless you doing a deep dive with a lots of bottom time its an overkill and if/ when your ready to do such dives most experienced divers take lots of tanks begrudgingly

as

as others have eluded to if you want to see if you can do it then by all means go have fun but unless you doing a deep dive with a lots of bottom time its an overkill and if/ when your ready to do such dives most experienced divers take lots of tanks begrudgingly
If you are going deep with lots of bottom time, go CC and be done with it.

4-5 Al80 tanks - is maximum for Sidemount dive with wetsuit up to 130 ft !!!

One Al80 has 80cu.ft of air. Weight of the air is around 0.074887 lbs per cu.ft. Total weight of the air in tank around 5.8 lb. In real used not more than 5 lbs of air.
So - between start of the dive and the end you can have weight difference of 5*4=20 lbs!
biggest SM wings have around 40 lbs lift capasity.
So - reminder is 20lbs...

Remember this thread Wetsuit buoyancy: Loss in depth - how big should be BCD
I count there weight loss for 9mm suit, and for 7mm wetsuit it will be around 17 lbs.
If we have dive from surface to 130 ft with 7mm wetsuit - we have bouyancy loss of 17 lbs.
so - 20+17 = 37 lbs - it is minimal lift capacity of SM wing for the four tanks. And safety margin here is around 3 lbs (e.g. for XDeep Stealth with 40 lbs lift cap.) - it is nothing...

So - not ten, not eight - not more than four Al80 is usable for SM diving with wetsuit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom