side mount to back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in side mount diving there common tank size most use ?
No. Many divers use what they have available to start with. Many carry their personal preferences from backmount into sidemount. Others intentionally experiment with different cylinders (depending on what dive buddies / friends may happen to have) until they come across something that they really like.

For example: I happen to like AL80s for recreational sidemount - I had two sets of backmount, manifolded double AL80s, and broke one down for SM. That way I worked out the trim and weight, so when I travel and (in the Western hemisphere) encounter the ubiquitously available AL80s, I have some idea of what I need. My favorite single cylinder is a HP100, and my favorite 'somewhat more gas' backmount, manifolded double cylinders are HP100s, so I dive a pair of HP100s for SM as well. And, I had available a set of manifolded doublke HP120s which I really didn't like for BM, so I broke them down for SM, and really like them. There is a common thread here, as well - 7.25" cylinders. I tried some 8" cylinders diving SM, and they are not my preference for SM.

Others on SB sing the praises of LP steels for SM. It is really a matter of both personal preference, and the requirements of the dives you are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom