Side mount starting point ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been done years ago in France, but the only thing it brings is issues and snagging points. It was done by an experienced guy that didn't know how to dive sidemount, so he blamed the tanks, because he couldn't accept his failure, mainly. He didnt look to sell it afaik. SM steel tank buoyancy compensator.Stab bloc acier en SM - UFP Plongée Technique

I'm not discussing feasibility, I'm discussing whether of not we should.

Last edited:
There are 2 types of people in this world.. Those that flow with the pack and those that think outside the box and blaze a trail all their own... When someone tells me I can't do something.. The first thing that comes to mind is "why not".. If my tank goes from being negative a half pound full of gas and then get positive 2lbs or so at 500psi.. I know I'll need about 4lbs more lead when adding the side mount tanks to my kit... So it 4lbs on my belt or in pockets or on the tank.. If adding a pound to the tail of the tank makes it less positive and makes it lay flatter in the water... WHY NOT DO IT... Because some people don't like it.. I could give a rats a$$ what people think.. I'll find the sweet spots on the tanks and then find the sweet spot for the tanks on me.. And then I'll sew attachment points on to my BC...

I don't want to dive twin 80's side mount... I don't want to dive a set of back doubles... I don't want to monkey dive a single 80.. I have health reasons for wanting to dive a back 80 and add side mount twin 40's when going down to 150' to hunt... And yes.. ON AIR... tbone1004 and northernone were more then help full...

Jim....

Sigh... You're just being obtuse, but feel free to make yourself feel good about yourself. You're not thinking out of the box. Sidemount has been here for quite a while, people thought of your solution already.
-Weights on tanks, has been done, making them even heavier out of the water (great) to solve a skills problem. Reduces comfort underwater as well, but you'd have to know what you're doing in order to understand it. Going from ****-mount to ****-mount will always feel the same, maybe slightly better because of personal bias.
-BCDs for tanks, has been done, because people claimed their 10l steel tanks were far too negatively buoyant to be used in sidemount so they needed a bcd. Making a problem to solve a skills problem again.

By all means, have fun, go for it, I'm simply suggesting you can do without, it will be more comfortable as well, but hey, what do I know, I've just been diving sidemount since dive 9...

Weights on tanks just advertises to the world that the user doesn't know how to configure and dive with aluminium cylinders.

Pretending pride in that ignorance doesn't convince the world of anything.

So we balance our kits and body by moving weights around... BUT, if you balance a side mount cylinder , it's wrong.. Got it.. And adding a pound to the tail of a tank makes it heavy on land to carry , BUT the same pound you need to put on your body doesn't ... Last time I looked.. Gravity works on a tank and person the same... Maybe it's because I'm a pilot that the CG (Center of Gravity) matters...

Jim...

So a pilot doesn't know about torque...

So a pilot doesn't know about torque...

I guess you're not a pilot... One of the first things you learn in flying is " TRIM IS YOUR FRIEND "

Jim...

And then I'll sew attachment points on to my BC...

So your not using a sidemount bc?

My guess is not enough lift at the hips with weight on cly. tails will have your trim way off.

Think stall

So your not using a sidemount bc?

My guess is not enough lift at the hips with weight on cly. tails will have your trim way off.

Think stall

I think the key is having the tanks in trim... I'm adding 4lbs somewhere on me or my kit.. I'm going to have fun playing with this.. And I'll sew the lead shot into the lower tank strap so no one will see it.. This way I'll look cool..:wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom