side mount armadillo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all, Is anyone in the cave community actively diving this system? I am looking for some real world feedback. I am toying with the idea of applying this to open water wreck diving, as diving manifolded doubles out of a 27' boat is undo-able.
thanx in advance
Eric

waterpirate:
Hi all, Is anyone in the cave community actively diving this system? I am looking for some real world feedback. I am toying with the idea of applying this to open water wreck diving, as diving manifolded doubles out of a 27' boat is undo-able.
thanx in advance
Eric

I've used both the Armadillo and the Nomad. I like the Armadillo and the Butt plate is nice and wide. The Nomad Butt plate is narrower but neither is a problem. I dive my Nomad in open water with twin steel 51's. It's nice, very light, and lets me get under reefs for great photos of critters. On the plus side, I don't need to remove my gear when I get on the boat. I just unclip 2 tanks and hand them up.

You do get all kinds of looks from the tourists though :)

Either system is fine for your situation.

Cheers :D

Mike

I use my armadillo in open water as well without problem. It can be tricky on a larger dive boat setup sometimes. Giant striding though an opening in a railing has to be done sideways and some ladders are problematic if you are unable to put them on/off in the water.

JimC:
.. some ladders are problematic if you are unable to put them on/off in the water.
I have been thinking about that. What about a 'staging leash'? You would basically hang the twins off of that, get in the water and clip them on the harness there. Getting out would be the reverse. Or would it be too heavy to pull up?

We use staging leashes to get stages and cameras into the water off inflatables. The leash is used to hold both doubles and the stages, cameras upon exit. If I can dive double hp100s off a 12.5ft inflatable, you certainly can off 27ft.

One of local 6 pack charter operators uses a 28ft boat and has no problem with doubles, stages, and scooters.
http://www.portholedivecharters.com/porthole/diving/main.asp?from=diving&level=1

Certainly, Mike is a good skipper. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

rjack321:
Certainly, Mike is a good skipper. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks...BACK ON TOPIC!!

Meng_Tze:
I have been thinking about that. What about a 'staging leash'? You would basically hang the twins off of that, get in the water and clip them on the harness there. Getting out would be the reverse. Or would it be too heavy to pull up?

Thats what I usually try to do. Rough water can make even that difficult.

Thanx all,
I have been away for a couple of days. The prototype concept is to hang the two primary tanks off a stage leash for entry and exit, and mount bail-out, or deco gas upside down with cave guard on sta back plate rig. For charter scenario the stage leash could be at 15fsw and you could breath bail out or deco gas for gearing up, and at last stop to de-rig before exiting.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom