Si-Tech exhaust valve reassembly: grease or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My exhaust valve is in a warm water soak at the moment... when I reassemble it on the suit, should I use any silicone grease on the exterior of the valve port? There's a rubbery ring on the suit that mates to the rubbery bit an the underside of the valve--it seems like a good place for some grease but I thought I'd check.

Searching the forum turned up one result indicating it was proper, but it wasn't for a SI-Tech valve so I figured I should ask just in case.

Thanks as always to the forum hive mind!

If the SiTech is original to the suit, then the rubber port on the suit will mate properly to the underside of the valve. I have only heard of a schmear of clear silicone (not grease) going between the exhaust and rubber port. I think that should only be needed if there's not a good match between the dump valve and the suit. I've replaced an Apeks with a SiTech and that's been my experience, but YMMV.

Well, I dunno about the spit! But the gasket is just there to help seal between teh plastic of the valve and the normally porous surface of the suit. No lubricant is called for.

After you are done with the warm water soak, run warm water through the valve from the inside to flush any debris that may have been trapped under the diaphragm. Make sure that the spring pressure is backed off so that it flows freely.

Thanks everyone.

francousteau:
I've replaced an Apeks with a SiTech and that's been my experience, but YMMV.

What year of an Apeks valve, revised one?

After replacing with a Sitech, it is much easier to dump the air?

I am getting sick and tired of an Apeks valve... :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom