shuttle landing at Edwards Air Force Base

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horsemen

Contributor
Reaction score
it will land at 512am if it lands on the first try or 648 for the 2 try
http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/launch/landing-vlcc.html

times listed are edt

email from base

Space Shuttle Discovery landing at Edwards Air Force Base Tuesday morning. Here are several items of interest regarding the shuttle landing:

The base will be closed to the general public.
The first landing opportunity at Edwards is at approximately 5:13 a.m.
The second landing opportunity at Edwards is at approximately 6:48 a.m.
All of South Base outside the Birk Flight Test Facility will be off-limits except for normal work and authorized individuals.
Jones Road and Mercury Boulevard will be subject to closure.
For main base, only those who have authorized work on the ramp will be permitted access to that area.
All of Rogers Dry Lake Bed and Rich Road will be closed until the Shuttle lands.
People who have base access can observe the landing from the unimproved shuttle viewing area on Rosamond Boulevard where the bleachers are.

Sound like a good opportunity to see the Discovery land. Will miss it this time.........to late to sleep and drive over(85miles)...oh, I also need to work tomorrow.

well thier may have another flight in sept 22ish and edwards is sopost to become the main landing area

horsemen:
well thier may have another flight in sept 22ish and edwards is sopost to become the main landing area

When did this go public.........I thought we were out because of the cost of shuttle transportation back to Florida...........Oh, that's right with all the increase in taxes these past years their must be a surplus of money floating around.....boy, I need to meet with my accountant see what else I can write-off.....maybe I can get that Hummer this year after all.

I heard the sonic boom this morning at just after 5am, so I guess that's the window of time they went for. :D

Christian

We heard the sonic boom as well. Woke us up. A friend in Fillmore said his house shook and the windows rattled.

cakayakdiver:
We heard the sonic boom as well. Woke us up. A friend in Fillmore said his house shook and the windows rattled.

Thats sooo cool!

And in reponse to the cost of landing at Edwards...while it is expensive, they had to land there today if they were going to land at all (there was a 3rd landing option), b/c of the rotation and trajectile path they were following....CNN has it explained! At least they did at 6:45 this morning...

I'm in Calabasas near malibu and my windows rattled about 5am-ish and woke me out of a sound sleep. Damn I wish I knew it was landing so I could have watched it come in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom