Shrinking a latex neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesT

Reaction score
Is there a simple way to get about half an inch out of a latex neck seal? I noticed a lot of air escaping from my neck whenever I bent my head down too far to look at anything, and I've never had that happen with any other suit I've used.
I hope to have some solution by the weekend, or it's gonna be a cold camping trip. Thanks in advance!

Are you using a NEW suit? Im curious because a NEW suit needs to be trimmed to ensure a proper fit.

If its a used suit, well..........I know of no way to make it "grow" again. Sorry, im sure its not what you wanted to hear.

JamesT:
Is there a simple way to get about half an inch out of a latex neck seal? I noticed a lot of air escaping from my neck whenever I bent my head down too far to look at anything, and I've never had that happen with any other suit I've used.
I hope to have some solution by the weekend, or it's gonna be a cold camping trip. Thanks in advance!
New seal...sorry...but been there, done that. Spent a week at Gods Pocket a week ago with the exact problem. Solved when I had a new seal installed.

You can try rolling the seal inward (not likely to work over the course of a dive) but a new seal is by far the best and surest bet on this one...

Jeff Lane

Totally thinking outside the box and I have no idea if this will work or totally F up the seal so please take everything I have written below at face value as an untested idea.

How about gluing a small pleat in the seal with Aquaseal or a similar glue? Probably not a great long term solution, but if you need it for a trip it may be acceptable until you can get back and get it fixed properly.

I have not tried this and it is just a crazy idea I had when I was reading this thread, so I have no idea at all if this is even a realistic solution.

TTSkipper

JamesT:

Send it in for a new neck seal, thats your only option.

Yep definately a new seal. Seals too small can be cut bigger, seals too bit cant really have anything done with them. Neoprene you can glue/stitch a fold but not possible with latex.

If you can get the seal its only an overnight glue dry job so could be done before the weekend.

Been there, done that! I trimmed a new seal a tad too much and the neck was burping at the surface, letting in a little water. I sent it in for a new neck seal.

If the problem is bad and you absolutely have to go diving, you may be able to locate a cheater: a broad latex or neoprene band that fits around your neck. This may provide enough of a seal for you to use the suit. The one and only time I saw this done was with a rental drysuit...it leaked anyway.

Replace the neck seal. And, while you're at it, look at the new DUI zip seals.

Are you using your drysuit for bouyancy control?

If so, you're probably running around with a larger than necessary 'air bubble' in your suit which is just looking for a place to escape. If you go vertical in the water column, it's going to go to the highest point (your neck) and place a lot of internal pressure against a fragile skin/latex connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom