Shrimp ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for an identification for this shrimp seen in Roatan @ 60 feet or so on the dive site Fish Den. While the picture is not ideal, three of us all consulted Humann/Deloach and are sure it is not in there (definitely not a pedersen- much larger). Picture attached or here: ImageShack - Image Hosting :: shrimp2ll5.jpg Thx!

Attachments

• shrimp2.JPG
    shrimp2.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 74
Hard to tell with that picture, but it looks like a Pederson Cleaner Shrimp or Periclimenes pedersoni

I have attached a picture of one that I pulled from the web. I have some pics at home, but unfortunately, I'm not there.

Attachments

• Pederson Cleane Shrimp.jpg
    Pederson Cleane Shrimp.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
Definitely *not* a Pederson shrimp, have seen many of those and this is not that. Look at the eyes and the length and number of antennae. Also color is wrong, and it was at least twice the size of a pederson.

At first glance I would start looking at the Genus: Stenopus.
The translucent lack of color gives me reason to ask:
Can you confirm this a live specimen? Did you see it moving?
If not, it may be the intact exoskeleton of a recent molt...

Last edited:
Donnyb- Yes it was alive- and the lack of color is what caught out eye, you are right. Unlike the standard cleaners this was larger and almost all white.

Thanks for the correction. It was hard to see, but I saw some bluish color in the picture. It will be interesting to find out what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom