Shoulder pain following pool dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently spent an afternoon in the pool brushing up on skills before a trip, at 2.6 metres for about 2 and a half hours with 3 10 minute intervals throughout. About an hour afterwards, I got a mild bilateral deep aching pain in my shoulders. All ascents were slow and controlled and I didn't hold my breath.

However, I immediately went out to play some frisbee with some friends and this may have contributed, as well as the fact im a slim guy and so the gear may have just caused the pains by being heavy. Its been 5 days now and the pain hasn't really changed. Is this a silly question or do you think DCS is a factor?

Considering the PADI NDL table says you can stay at 35 feet for over 3 hours, my totally nonprofessional opinion is it's virtually (and perhaps completely) impossible to get DCS from being in a pool at 2.6 meters (9 feet) for 2.5 hours. If you were there for several days there might be a concern.

It's the equivalent of saying "I've been sitting around all day and feel pretty lethargic, I haven't eaten a lime recently, do you think it's scurvy?"

Agree with shawn. Dcs unlikely but the pain is still something that should not be ignored. A day or two is likely just muscle strain. Five days also possible. But a few years ago I was using a powder coating gun that weighed maybe a.pound for eight hours. The repetitive motion resulted i a slight rotator.cuff tear and what is called a winged scapula. Has neved healed right thanks to a quack workers comp.doctor. Not saying you ahve anything like this but have learned as I get olded not to try and work through stuff like.this. Get it checked. A good massage therapist may also bring some serious relief.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would find a good neuro-muscular therapist, and have him work your back and neck.....and if he has a K Laser, that is like the new holy grail treatment for healing and inflammation( inflamation will often cause nerve impingement and pain along with causing muscle spasms and knots--which won't go away easily without treatment in many people).

Many MD's are getting the K-Lasers now also...so you don't have to restrict yourself just to the sports massage people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom