Shoulder D rings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

out - the bend facilitates reaching/clipping, especially with thick gloves.....

Thanks guys. I just replaced my webbing and hit the local lake for a shakedown dive to get it adjusted. There was another diver there who quickly informed me as he was checking out my gear that my rings were wrong (mounted to stick out) because they weren't as streamlined. I've always had them sticking out (7 years with this plate) and never had a comment, but I just wanted to make sure.

other guy is an idiot and kool-aid drinker, he needs to use his brain. Yes when they lay flat they are more streamlined, but they are less functional. Also the streamlining of a d-ring is negligible.

My d-rings are unbent and lay flat, and have no problem clipping things off with one hand. When you go to clip something off, you can always push on the webbing which will make the d-ring stick out, but usually not necessary. The difference between bent and unbent d-rings is really insignificant. The best reason for using bent d-rings is that if you already have them, you won't need to go buy new ones...incidentally this is also the best reason for using unbent d-rings.

I agree with tbone about that "other guy" but would suggest he is mixing his own kool-aid and doesn't have the recipe quite right :)

When you think about it, pretty much anything you clip on to your chest d-rings is going to stick out more than a bent d-ring, so if streamlining is the issue, then one should never clip anything to a d-ring.

My d-rings are unbent and lay flat, and have no problem clipping things off with one hand. When you go to clip something off, you can always push on the webbing which will make the d-ring stick out, but usually not necessary. The difference between bent and unbent d-rings is really insignificant. The best reason for using bent d-rings is that if you already have them, you won't need to go buy new ones...incidentally this is also the best reason for using unbent d-rings.

I agree with tbone about that "other guy" but would suggest he is mixing his own kool-aid and doesn't have the recipe quite right :)

When you think about it, pretty much anything you clip on to your chest d-rings is going to stick out more than a bent d-ring, so if streamlining is the issue, then one should never clip anything to a d-ring.

Or use a tank. I think this whole streamlining business is bit of a joke.

...//...There was another diver there who quickly informed me as he was checking out my gear that my rings were wrong (mounted to stick out) because they weren't as streamlined.
OMG, Seriously! :rofl3: I can't breathe!

Back
Top Bottom