Should we dive at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But i am pretty sure, that blinding fishes for the tarpons will result in a decline of some species.
Its just not a natural behaviour
How many night divers do you think are out there? It's hard to imagine so many that they would have any kind of real impact.

I noticed a few years ago that these modern lights there are being used are way too bright and disturb everything way too much! I use my current light on the lowest setting and it still puts out more light than any of my old incandescent lights, even the giant 8 D cell and 12 volt models!

My dive lights are all 1000 lumen or more. What I do if I need to use one in a situation where it's too bright is hold the light from the head and let my fingers completely cover the front of the light. Then move your fingers slightly so there is a small slit. Works great for "dimming" a bright light.

When you're comfortable with less light, try turning it off as previously mentioned.

However,

Having a nice bright light is important to me on a night dive so that I can turn it on and let it dangle while waiting for pick-up after the dive. This way the boat can easily see me. Just make sure not to shine your light at the boat as that will temporarily blind the people on it.

I posted this on Bonaire forum just because that's where i plan to go next, but it could have gone into any other forum. I've been thinking about whether we are doing a bad thing by night diving. Although diving at night is one of my favorite things in the world to do, I've read about how the flashlights wake up fish, causing them to swim around when they would normally be at rest. This can give an edge to the predator species that they wouldn't normally have. I wonder about the long term impact on a reef when it is visited by divers night after night. Does anyone else have thoughts about this?
Yes! :)

Just make sure not to shine your light at the boat as that will temporarily blind the people on it.
What about other divers underwater? You didn't even mention them, although you obviously are capable of blinding them with your torch. And a lot of guys like you certainly do.

How many night divers do you think are out there? It's hard to imagine so many that they would have any kind of real impact.
At kpt dons there are 10-30 night divers every night. I think its enough to have an impact

At kpt dons there are 10-30 night divers every night. I think its enough to have an impact

By now I have probably done well over 100 night dives from Buddy Dive, often covering the reef in front of Cpt Don's.

As many divers as there are some nights, there is a great deal of reef that is NOT being disturbed.

Do an Ostracod night dive. Pick a day when the moon sets before the sun sets and you'll see something truly amazing. Contact Paul with Bon Scuba and he'll take you. Most operations will only do it 5-6 nights after the full moon.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom