Should we dive at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Especially in bonaire you can see the impact very well.
Tarpon started to hunt with the flashlights of the divers at night.
This is not a natural behavior and they eat way more fish in the shallow reef where night diving is done.

Especially in bonaire you can see the impact very well.
Tarpon started to hunt with the flashlights of the divers at night.
This is not a natural behavior and they eat way more fish in the shallow reef where night diving is done.
Are you aware of any decline in prey species as a result? That’s what I’m concerned about. I’m not concerned that an individual fish gets eaten, but I don’t want to contribute to any substantial harm.

Is a desire not to disturb the fish the reason for your using this on night dives? How much can you see with a red light?
Try turning your light completely off on a night dive. As long as there's a reasonable amount of moonlight it is really great. I did that last time I did night dives in Mexico and saw/enjoyed the experience much more. Another fun way to go is to use blue lights and yellow mask/camera filters for flouro diving.

Are you aware of any decline in prey species as a result? That’s what I’m concerned about. I’m not concerned that an individual fish gets eaten, but I don’t want to contribute to any substantial harm.
no i am not.
But i am pretty sure, that blinding fishes for the tarpons will result in a decline of some species.
Its just not a natural behaviour

How about this: Since March, we are on hiking/biking trails with either our bikes or the dogs quite a bit. One trail has signs telling people to share the trail, communicate and pass responsibly. The other, no signs. Guess which one has people almost running us over constantly? Maybe every pier in Bonaire should have a sign with night diving suggested behavior. If it said RULES someone would scream that their constitutional rights were being violated. I was taught how to "gently" use a flashlight on night dives 20+ years ago and try hard to follow the guidance. Wouldn't hurt to post guidance on all of the piers. As to other shore dives, maybe just hand them out when one signs up with a dive center to rent tanks.
Nothing Earth-shattering here but these past 6 months has really shown me that a simple sign can work wonders.

Rob

Agreed. Anyone who is down there with enough candle power to light up an auditorium isn't really night diving. They are actually making it brighter down there than during daytime. Learn to dive at night with minimal lighting, or don't bother at all.

Night diving with just natural light is a lot of fun. It is also fun when another night diver who is using a light, suddenly realizes that you are there, watching.

"Raphus, post: 9150178, member: 510465"]no i am not.
But i am pretty sure, that blinding fishes for the tarpons will result in a decline of some species.
Its just not a natural behaviour
How many night divers do you think are out there? It's hard to imagine so many that they would have any kind of real impact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom