Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this forum?

Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this board?

• Yes

Votes: 125 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With over 1800 hits on this thread, it's hard to believe there isn't a forum by now (one hasn't been formed since I was away, was it?).

Though actually, I have a hard time imagining what would be discussed over time (though I have seldom been accused of excessive imagination...)

Would be a shame it if were limited to SDI certified participants only (as I have seen suggested), I know there are some incredibly experienced solo divers on the board without that cert...

JAG

In terms of solo diving SDI is a relative newcomer. Of course that its the way it has worked with all areas of technical diveing - people do it, develop it and bring it closer to the maintstream, invariably against great opposition and then either the certification agencies start picking it up or new agencies are formed.

What bothers me is that solo diving continues to be critisized as inherently dangerous as if wreck or cave penetration were not, and that the arguments against solo diving ignore the large number of divers who solo dive safely including a percentage of cave and wreck divers. The arguments against a solo diving forum ignore the presece, value, utility and harmlessness of open forums for other technical diving pursuits.

In terms of equipment and technique there are few differences between solo diving and other types of technical diving other than the lack of a buddy and as in other technical diving areas, there would be a great deal of value in being able to discuss it in a dedicated forum.

It is really too bad that we do not have a forum yet, but then again has anyone specifically requested one from the powers that be?

I'll ask Pete and the Admin via PM. I'll post their reply if they are willing to allow me to do so.

DA Aquamaster:
In terms of solo diving SDI is a relative newcomer. Of course that its the way it has worked with all areas of technical diveing - people do it, develop it and bring it closer to the maintstream, invariably against great opposition and then either the certification agencies start picking it up or new agencies are formed.

What bothers me is that solo diving continues to be critisized as inherently dangerous as if wreck or cave penetration were not, and that the arguments against solo diving ignore the large number of divers who solo dive safely including a percentage of cave and wreck divers. The arguments against a solo diving forum ignore the presece, value, utility and harmlessness of open forums for other technical diving pursuits.

In terms of equipment and technique there are few differences between solo diving and other types of technical diving other than the lack of a buddy and as in other technical diving areas, there would be a great deal of value in being able to discuss it in a dedicated forum.

It is really too bad that we do not have a forum yet, but then again has anyone specifically requested one from the powers that be?

I'm with you, DA...
I just wonder if a forum dedicated to Solo Diving would have as much juice as the debate over solo diving...
Why not have a forum, though

JAG

jhelmuth:
I'll ask Pete and the Admin via PM. I'll post their reply if they are willing to allow me to do so.

Follow up...

Tech Admin has forwarded the request to the proper authorities. I had also sent this same request to Pete (NetDoc). He has not replied to me yet. I will post here to keep you all informed on how the request is proceeding...

Jim

We have decided to make a forum for Solo Diving... patience is needed as we formulate the details.

NetDoc:
We have decided to make a forum for Solo Diving... patience is needed as we formulate the details.
Nice.
Absolutely need a no trolling disclaimer like the one at the DIR forum. Sauce for the goose and all...

I see Pete put a post here. I just got a reply from him the they gave us the forum!

That Rocks! Let's not disappoint the board and really do a great job in this forum. If there are any trolls lurking here - report 'em!

jhelmuth:
Follow up...

Tech Admin has forwarded the request to the proper authorities. I had also sent this same request to Pete (NetDoc). He has not replied to me yet. I will post here to keep you all informed on how the request is proceeding...

Jim

NetDoc:

Thank you, NetDoc and advisors. Once again you demonstrate the foresight that made this board what it is - the best.

I also want to thank all those who contributed to the discussion, regardless of opinion. All explained opinions serve to make us think, and see things from different points of view, enhancing our understanding. A special thanks to those of you who do not solo dive and have no intention of ever doing so, yet, upon seeing or being aware of a reasonable explanation of its legitimacy, willingly give due respect and recognition to the rights of others.

Scuba:
I fully believe that every diver is responsible and accountable to himself and those near and dear him/her for his safety. Irrespective of social norms and taboos in existence at this time in the dive community, it is up to every diver to determine what risks he deems acceptable for himself. Where, when, and in which type of diving he is willing to take these risks is not for others to decide when it doesn’t involve them.
I see the creation of a Solo Diving discussion area as a net positive development.

What do you think and why?
I had no idea that this thread was so young. And if it began on August 5, stateside, it was on my 55th birthday (August 6) here in Korea.
Thank you for a wonderful birthday present!
I will attempt to learn to investigate/read further before I open my yap next time.

Thanks,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom