Should the Goliath Grouper fishery be re-opened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnicholson1437

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
bubblejunkie:
Yes but Not to spearfisherman.

Why? As long as the limits are observed, what difference does it make how the fish was killed? I think if it's legal to take a fish on a line, it should be legal to take the same fish with a spear.

I would hope the species would be allowed to rebound more despite anecdotal "evidence" of them no longer being in short supply.

Why? As long as the limits are observed, what difference does it make how the fish was killed? I think if it's legal to take a fish on a line, it should be legal to take the same fish with a spear.

Well, just an opinion here, and I spearfish a little, how many stories of unprepared divers thinking they are Rambo, are going to go out and try to kill a big grouper and it kills or badly hurts them do you think you'll read about before laws are established to protect those same knuckleheads from themselves. I know plenty of people who think they are spearfishing gods that struggle with a 30 lbs GAG. Those same chest beaters WILL kill themselves or someone else if allowed to legally target them. I saw a hand full of Marlin,Sailfish and easily 1000's of Snook in deep water last year, not allowed to target them either, Lots of species get protected for odd reasons, However.

The days of very few guys ganging up on a big fish are over, Not everyone, but alot of people that have ever been snorkling are going to try it, just to say they did it, some will be successfull most will have sad stories of gear destroyed and worse.

Me personally as a damn near life long spearfisherperson would not like to see these individuals screw up a sport that in places we are barely keeping as it is without what would surely be un-needed bad press.

Any idea what it takes to successfully kill these fish, even a little one say 250 lbs?

Any idea of the logistics in caring for that fish once its dead as to not waste the resource?

I think a recreational tag program and a very limited commercial harvest would be good for the resource and the science of the fish and for sure couldnt hurt the the lobster populations that I see out of sebastian or should I say the lack of lately.

Like I said I'm nobody just a guy that dives as often as possible and I know bad press is not what the spearfishing community needs. Damn, lots of typing I need to go divng bad. Flame away :popcorn:

All that being said, if it swims and I can eat it, I can kill it, but doubt I ever would big ones dont eat well, I hear:D

I would hope the species would be allowed to rebound more despite anecdotal "evidence" of them no longer being in short supply.

Funny how it's only (anecdotal "evidence") from fish huggers that dont see the fish and listen to what people doing fish counts from the beach have to say. I bet I could show you on an easy day 150 in just 4-6 numbers ANY time of the year. Try not to live up to your screen name, oops to late.:shakehead:

I think there should be a season with a slot limit with Goliaths....... and that would factor out spearfishing. The hook and line guys are really pushing a limited harvest with nothing too small and nothing too big being kept. This is proving to be good idea with snook, so why not goliath groupers?

There is one HUGE difference between hook and line harvest and spear harvest. One cannot spearfish, get a good measure on a fish, then release it.

Scubadork- do you get a good idea about Florida fish counts in Colorado?

Hey no need for name calling. I don't have a problem with fishing or spearfishing so there is no need to cop an attitude. If enough true scientific studies show a significant rebound of a specific species of fish is present, then by all means consider a limited harvest. I am just not quick to jump the gun to opening it back up just because a few people here and there say they see goliaths "all the time". My sister and brother in law live in Punta Gorda and I speak with them frequently about fishing and other marine issues, so I am not entirely ignorant of Florida despite being inland.

.....Any idea what it takes to successfully kill these fish, even a little one say 250 lbs?....

I've been spearfishing with you and I also have seen what a pretzel a 20 pound jack can do to a 5 foot long spear, let alone a baby GG would do. On the Gulf Coast it will take some discussion to thin the herd that have over taken many wreck sites over there. East coast, Jupiter and below does not see the numbers that the gulf side is seeing.

I think a recreational tag program and a very limited commercial harvest

I think a tag program is an excellent idea so size, stomach contents, and olith's can be studied. Looks like a whole 'nother round of meetings we'll be attending.

Back
Top Bottom