Should port o-rings be changed during overhaul?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might want to replace any hoses more than 5 years old while you're at it, for the same reason.

...I'll get me coat.

Yes. And hoses over 5 yo, yes maybe. It is life support equipment.

Paying for a service, I would expect new O-rings. Hoses should be good for 10 years if carefully inspected and for OW sport diving. Penetration, hard or soft overhead, then 5 years or less works for me.

N

Thanks for the input.

FWIW, for the two brands that I had gotten serviced, one comes with port o-rings in the kit, and the other doesn't.

Two lovely specimens from the most recent one..
20191217_215716~2.jpg 20191217_215951~2.jpg

And another one from the previous (water in the first stage! In addition to unchanged port orings)
20190712_234304~2.jpg

Don't know anything about other brands but Apeks service kit include all the O-rings(static or dynamic) and advised to change them all.

Thanks for the input.

FWIW, for the two brands that I had gotten serviced, one comes with port o-rings in the kit, and the other doesn't.

View attachment 556011

That's unacceptable IMO. Even if the manufacturer doesn't require the o'rings to be replaced every servicing, service procedures would require the tech to change it if the o'rings are damaged/misshapen or gritty.

Also all parts should be dry before reassembly, looks like someone was in a rush to get the job done with minimal effort.

Thanks for the input.

View attachment 556008 View attachment 556009

And another one from the previous (water in the first stage! In addition to unchanged port orings)
View attachment 556011
Did you ask the shop about the water in the first stage? Did they offer to do anything about it? Also, is that grease on the port plug? Did you do that, the shop, or did they just not deal with any plugged ports?

Given the opportunity, replace everything, regardless of the apparent condition of the o-rings. Not doing so, is sheer laziness, in not wanting to spend a couple of additional minutes . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom