Should non-native lionfish be eliminated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attended a talk at DEMA on the Lion Fish invasion in the Atlantic presented by REEF and representatives from (I think) the US and Bermuda national aquaria. My notes follow:

Lion Fish are well established on the US Eastern seaboard and in several islands, including Bermuda.
Not likely they can be eradicated where they’ve already established because:
They are prolific breeders
They live in depths from shallow to 500 ft.
They seem to have no natural control in the Atlantic.
If there is a natural control agent in the Indo-Pacific, it is not yet known. Some evidence that their population is controlled simply by small fish (their food) avoiding them. Atlantic small fish don’t know better and even appear to flock to them, perhaps thinking they can hide in the Lion Fish’ frill.
Larger specimens have been found in the Atlantic than in their natural Indo-Pacific.
Adult Lion Fish decimate their home area of small fish in a short time.

With that gloomy picture what is to be done? The recommendation is to prevent farther spread by eradicating early populations while they are still small (e.g. in the Caymans). How?
Can be killed by spearing or caught in nets, but be careful – their barbs carry a painful venom. Hot water is recommended first aid.

For limiting established colonies, Bermuda has:
Spread the word that they are tasty (after you get past their uncooked smell).
Issued special spear-fishing permits for Lion Fish.
Educated the locals about the damage Lion Fish cause.

How did they get established? Presenters are pretty confident it is from the aquarium trade.
Combination of harsh conditions in ships’ bilges not conducive to Lion Fish survival; and noting that all of the approximately 20 alien invader fish found on the US East Coast are among the most frequently imported by aquarists. Fortunately, the other species have not established.

The agencies represented continue to study Lion Fish in the hopes of learning more effective methods.

Just had Lionfish for lunch at one of the top Italian restaurants in Florida.. Paridiso in Lake Worth. It tasted great, particularly prepared by Paridiso.....This fish may end up depleted like hogsnappers, if more high end restaurants get in the game :)

I think the price was around $27 just for the entre ( not including soup or appetizers, and certainly not including the panacotte desert:) .

DanV

Just had Lionfish for lunch at one of the top Italian restaurants in Florida.. Paridiso in Lake Worth. It tasted great, particularly prepared by Paridiso.....This fish may end up depleted like hogsnappers, if more high end restaurants get in the game :)

This is the BEST NEWS I've heard regarding this #%#$% fish in years!!

I'll eat as many of the little buggers as the restaurants can crank out. Hmmm... what other invasive species can I eat? I nibbled on some hydrilla once but the silica grated against my teeth.

This is the BEST NEWS I've heard regarding this #%#$% fish in years!!

I'll eat as many of the little buggers as the restaurants can crank out. Hmmm... what other invasive species can I eat? I nibbled on some hydrilla once but the silica grated against my teeth.

Get you a little hind molar progression going on.

I was reading today that the goverment is trying to get chefs to serve lionfish to us consumers. I wouldn't mind trying some even though they are my favorite fish:love4: where do yall think would be a place some where by central va???

Just returned from Grand Cayman and based on what I saw the answer to this thread is ABSOLUTELY. I can't count how many lionfish we saw. According to the DM the first lionfish appeared in 2008. That means in barely two years they are a dominant predator on the reefs. Based on all I've read about lionfish as predators I hope that the biologists come up with a plan. Otherwise diving the Caribbean is going to lionfish reef regardless of where you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom