should Loran be shut down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that 95% of boaters don't use it anymore as GPS has become cheaper and more accurate and overlays with graphical maps.

I'd guess the number is >>99%. I'm pretty active in the boating
community and don't know ANYONE that still uses a LORAN.

There's no reason a LORAN couldn't drive a chartplotter (except that
while LORAN was very repeatable (the same numbers would put
you on the same rock) it wasn't all that accurate (the Lat/Lon was
often off by a few hundred yards.)

And you could probably build a LORAN (in production quantities)
for about the same price as a GPS, though it would need a good
size antenna because the frequencies are a LOT lower.

As long as you have a chart with you and you can visually see your aids around you then all you need to do is verify your position on the chart. But if you are lost then you go next to another boat and ask for help.

I cant believe that I'm reading that you dDivers dont use LORAN.

Lots of Commercials in New England still use Loran I would say meaybe 80% or more still use LORAN and any fisherman worth his salt has TD numbers in his Logbook, not Lats & Longs.

GPS is OK it wil get you in the ballpark

but you need Differential GPS to get you on the Infield and you rneed
LORAN to get you to Home Plate.

If your looking for shipwreacks to dive on I would not trust to using GPS. You will waste a lot of fuel or air that you could have saved buy using your LORAN

just look how tight these triagles are. You cant get that with GPS

cmr_4_11_map.gif

I'm a pilot. Many pilots are getting worried because Loran is used as a backup to GPS and to VOR navigation. VOR's are also ground based, like Loran and the feds want to shut them off as well. I think some pilot groups are trying to keep Loran around as pilots and non-pilots do use it, and it would work as a backup to GPS, and let VORs go. When flying, you want to have more than one navigation system on board. The feds seem to be trying to push everyone towards GPS only, but there are times reception can go down, or some interference can cause problems

I'm a pilot. Many pilots are getting worried because Loran is used as a backup to GPS and to VOR navigation. VOR's are also ground based, like Loran and the feds want to shut them off as well. I think some pilot groups are trying to keep Loran around as pilots and non-pilots do use it, and it would work as a backup to GPS, and let VORs go. When flying, you want to have more than one navigation system on board. The feds seem to be trying to push everyone towards GPS only, but there are times reception can go down, or some interference can cause problems

well buying a new panel mount GPS's in planes aren't cheap. anything that has to be FAA certified cost 10 times as much.

(the non FAA certified ones that are "portable" are much cheaper though).

so lots of planes still don't use GPS just because anything on a plane cost so freaking much to change. and in a tight economy, that matters.

(with that said, I've got an Apollo 820 panel mount GPS that I'd like to get rid of cheap if anyone needs one).

well buying a new panel mount GPS's in planes aren't cheap. anything that has to be FAA certified cost 10 times as much.
Oh I know. I hope they keep VORs around, but everyone seem to want them gone at the FAA.

I use my Garmin Pilot hand held as a "cockpit resource" but of course, I don't fly an IFR approach with it as it is not certified for such use.

As to GPS vs Loran, yawn, I can put my anchor on the wreck, I can drop it down the stack, if you give me your coordinates, I can hit you on the head with it, how much more accuracy does one need?

N

Dont worry they will be replacing the VORs with TACANs real soon

Load a Citation up with a bunch of C4 and have a GPS autopilot guide it into a stadium at halftime. That would shut it down.

Nah, about as likely as a dozen guys with boxcutters......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom