should Loran be shut down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
not sure if everyone knows... but the gov is shutting down Loran.

I would say that 95% of boaters don't use it anymore as GPS has become cheaper and more accurate and overlays with graphical maps.
(it's still used more in aircraft at FAA approved/integrated GPS isn't as cheap).

However, what happens if GPS becomes disabled?

not sure if everyone knows... but the gov is shutting down Loran.

I would say that 95% of boaters don't use it anymore as GPS has become cheaper and more accurate and overlays with graphical maps.
(it's still used more in aircraft at FAA approved/integrated GPS isn't as cheap).

I'm not sure.....but didn't they have boats and planes before GPS and managed to navigate?

What do you think people did before Loran? Not to mention the only chance of GPS being shut down is basically nuclear war, in which case, boating around without it will be the least of your worries.

I'm not sure.....but didn't they have boats and planes before GPS and managed to navigate?

True... but GPS is used for much more than navigation now days.

It's used as a time source for just about anything on a network that requires precise time synchronization to operate. GPS being disabled by anyone will really cause real issues to many things. things that you didn't even realize. (like your iPhone.)

What do you think people did before Loran? Not to mention the only chance of GPS being shut down is basically nuclear war, in which case, boating around without it will be the least of your worries.

True. I think that if we get in a big war with a powerful country, our GPS system is at severe risk.

I don't know, I have not used Loran in years. I used to get along without because mostly when Loran was in vogue, I could not afford it and now that I can I don't want to because I have a GPS on my phone, camera, watch, car, computer, dog, cat, tractor, so shut it down, I don't care.

There are only two countries that could knock out our GPS, maybe China, probably Russia, neither would want to because then we could not pay them back all the money we owe them or provide a market for their vodka (Russia) or lead contaminated toys (China). Gotta know what is important ya know.

N

Yes. China could definitely knock out our GPS satellites. They've already tested their "anti-satellite" system a few years ago when they shot one of theirs as a test.

The US has tested on a few occasions knocking down it's satellites.

USSR was developing a system a while back, but I don't know if it ever achieved any milestones.

Grew up using Loran with my Dad offshore, great memories! Hate to see it go I was still using it as a back up on my boat. :pityparty:

Dead reckoning; used by captains who are now, well, mostly dead.

They called it dead reckoning because if you didn't reckon right you got lost at sea and died

Back
Top Bottom