Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have clearly made a lot of effort to convince others that it isn't safe or possible to do it safely or properly if one is using a snorkel. What you should have said that YOU don't have enough skill, knowledge and practice to be able to do a very simply maneuver easily and correctly, just you. You are no different than the people with standard hose and don't know where their snorkel is and where their BC inflator hose is and confuse which one is which because of their low level of competency and lack of adequate practice just like somebody who doesn't know his nose from his ears.

Could you quote the post where I said it is dangerous? Because that is not my opinion

P.S. Are you seriously evaluating my diving skills based only on what I write on a forum? :)

P.S. Are you seriously evaluating my diving skills based only on what I write on a forum? :)

It's normal I get it all the time. Not from you but others have said things about my so called diving skills yet they have never dived with me.

You should never wear a snorkel after Labor Day. It is just gauche.

I used it to surface swim and/or to scout the area before submerging, this allows me to save air for my dive

Someone has to:

is that a snorkel in your pocket or you're just happy to be diving?

I keep my snorkel just in case. I would not want to be lost at sea even for less than hour without. I have never used it but as I only dive in the ocean, you never know.

You have clearly made a lot of effort to convince others that it isn't safe or possible to do it safely or properly if one is using a snorkel. What you should have said that YOU don't have enough skill, knowledge and practice to be able to do a very simply maneuver easily and correctly, just you.
Huh?

It's a fact that deploying a hog looped long hose involves slipping the loop over your head.
It's a fact that if there's something sticking up from your head, there's a greater risk that something slipping over your head stands a bigger risk of getting snagged than if there isn't anything sticking up from your head.
It's a fact that a snorkel worn on the mask strap will have the snorkel tube sticking up from the snorkel wearer's head.

When I do that math, I conclude that wearing a snorkel on my mask strap isn't a very good idea if I'm hog looping. As I understand you, it shouldn't be an issue as long as I have the appropriate skills. Is that a correct understanding of what you're saying here?

When I do that math, I conclude that wearing a snorkel on my mask strap isn't a very good idea if I'm hog looping. As I understand you, it shouldn't be an issue as long as I have the appropriate skills. Is that a correct understanding of what you're saying here?

If you have the skill based on practice and doing it few times, you should have no issues doing it smoothly and instinctively. I wouldn't use a snorkel on the mask when diving in an overhead environment because of other issues but not because of using a long hose. People rationalize not to use the snorkel with long hose not because it isn't doable but more because they don't want to wear it just like users of standard hose length complain about using a snorkel for the wrong reasons and rationalizations.

If you have the skill based on practice and doing it few times, you should have no issues doing it smoothly and instinctively. I wouldn't use a snorkel on the mask when diving in an overhead environment
Are you saying that I should have no more issues donating my hog looped reg with a snorkel on my mask strap than I'd have without a snorkel on my mask strap?

Just trying to clarify whether my impression of your position is correct.

Are you saying that I should have no more issues donating my hog looped reg with a snorkel on my mask strap than I'd have without a snorkel on my mask strap?

I can't saying anything about you and what you can or can't do, only you can say. I am talking about me and what I can do or don't do. I have no problem whatsoever doing it. I had to practice it and review doing it just like what I do when I use a new piece of equipment, I practice using it in various scenarios until I am comfortable with it and using it and can do it blind folded instinctively. I have no issues using a snorkel with or without a long hose and never confused it with my hair or with my BC inflator hose or anything else. I never dive without a snorkel, never. I may put it away u/w when diving in an overhead situation (wreck diving) but it is with me out of the way when I do but otherwise, it is on my mask.

Back
Top Bottom