Should I try a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you read the details, it sounds like the incident Brad's site references is of caustic cocktail. From what I know of the rob Stewart incident, he passed out and drowned due to having low ppo2 (appropriate for depth) in his loop at the surface. If I recall correctly, flooding was cited as the reason he sank. Even if he hadn't sank, I can't imagine surviving while unconscious in the water unless you're wearing a pfd.
This was a rumor that has been disproven. Based on the shearwater download his ppO2 on the surface was fine. We don't know what caused Stewart's loss of consciousness. Stewart was actually recovered with what appeared to be the loop still in his mouth. His LOC was probably the same thing that caused Sortis to pass out on the deck (which has not been medically explained).

AJ:
I'am not a rebreather diver (yet), but as far as I can tell you're more likely to hurt or kill yourself with a rebreather because of it's unforgiving nature. If you screw up on OC you probably get out without too much damage (in case of no serious deco), with a rebreather the outcome can very different making the same kind of mistake. Even with very benign/shallow dive profiles a rebreather is more unforgiving than OC.

Maybe rebreather divers can tell me if I'am right or wrong about this?

I disagree a bit. I've got a few thousand hours on CCR. I teach on two units and am certified on more than half a dozen. I don't think CCR is for everyone. I think that a rebreather is a bit more involved. But a rebreather adds 3 problems and solves 20. I'll take those odds every time.

What I like about the Pyle document, is that not only is RP very experienced, and very knowledgeable, but he is quite happy to point the finger at himself.

He clearly explains the mistakes he made, where he went wrong, and how much of an idiot he was in that particular instance. If more people left their ego behind, and admitted their mistakes, we would all learn more.

Anyone who hasn't made a mistake, or done something stupid, who dives regularly, is lying!
I am afraid I have made a few, both on OC and CC.
Right on!

This was a rumor that has been disproven. Based on the shearwater download his ppO2 on the surface was fine. We don't know what caused Stewart's loss of consciousness. Stewart was actually recovered with what appeared to be the loop still in his mouth. His LOC was probably the same thing that caused Sortis to pass out on the deck (which has not been medically explained).
Interesting, I haven't seen that bit of news. Where is it at?

Interesting, I haven't seen that bit of news. Where is it at?
While I was also one of the first to suspect hypoxia that's actually incorrect. Buried in the accident thread and court filings posted by @Wookie here on SB there's a download of Stewart's shearwater including ppO2. Sadly its hundreds of posts long so I don't recall which document had that.

I'll put it this way, the Deas' bunch still lists Rob's death as "unit design fault" and "probably hypoxia." Oh, and that voting logic is to blame.

Ya know, if anyone is still going to quote Deas on anything, you might as well consider D. Trump as a rebreather expert as well. I consider them to be in the same category of "expert" (a.k.a legends in their own minds). ;-)

Well...you know one of the advantages of rebreathers is the abundance of hot air....

Back
Top Bottom