Should I take AOW or just dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svidlano

Contributor
Reaction score
The only reason for taking AOW is depth limit.

The reason for just diving is fun, joy, .... And as long as I stick with my club, there is no 18 m limit.

Hmm I don't think the only reason for AOW is depth. Certainly for a lot of the dives in Britain and Ireland you need to be AOW to be allowed to dive them.

Anyway I have just completed my AOW a couple of weeks ago. I did my OW last December and rather than do the AOW straight away like so many people do I decided to wait, do a couple of dives in between and talk to people and then when I felt I was ready I did my AOW.

Admittadly my bouancy is not great but I am a hell of a better diver for having done some dives in between because I am more relaxed and comfortable in the water and I am aware of where the problems with my technique are and what I need to concentrate on improving.

So my advice would be to do the AOW when ever you feel ready to do it. Don't be pushed into it by intsructors trying to sell their courses but I would definitely do it at some point :wink:

svidlano once bubbled...
The only reason for taking AOW is depth limit.

The reason for just diving is fun, joy, .... And as long as I stick with my club, there is no 18 m limit.

Yes, there is a limit, because whatever your club says if there is an accident you're in big trouble, you don't have enough experience and on the practical side no insurance will pay you if you knowingly disregarded limits imposed by your certification, whatever the agency.

Don't forget the Adriatic Sea is not that warm (compared to tropical areas), I wouldn't take any risks that may affect my health and my life as badly.

This said, Phish-phood is correct, there is no fixed time for taking AOW, you decide and I would strongly recommend you put a few dives under your belt in-between.

Phish-phood once bubbled...

So my advice would be to do the AOW when ever you feel ready to do it. Don't be pushed into it by intsructors trying to sell their courses but I would definitely do it at some point :wink:

I feel ready for AOW. Did some 14 dives after my OW. Spent entire winter in the pool. Last weekend I was able to hover even during safety stops. The only problem is money. Should I make another 15 dives or take AOW (10 dives included)?
Last weekend my diving instructor has sent me to dive with another diver (AOW) and not with the group, so I think my skill is good enough. I can't ask him this question, because his interest is in selling the course.

AOW doesnt make you an advanced diver, only diving and experience can do that.

It CAN introduce you to some new things under the supervision of an instrcutor and start your learning curve so that you feel more comfortable with certain skills (deep, night, navigation, etc.)

If you have a good instructor, who is going to take the time and actually show you skills I think it's worthwhile to take it ASAP. If they are just going to lead you around by the nose on a guided tour, you're probably wasting your money.

Just my $.10, adjusted for inflation.

I do suggest that you take AOW but not for the reasons you might expect. You need it before you can take Rescue. Personally, I feel that's the minimum cert level all divers should strive for. Rescue class is where you put your skills and training to the test. Of the PADI courses I have taken, it is by far the most valuable to me and the people I dive with.

As to when to take AOW and Rescue for that matter, over the years here on the board it appears that the general feeling is that somewhere around 20 non-traing dives between courses is about the right. Like any other subject, opinions do vary.

herman once bubbled...
You need it before you can take Rescue. Personally, I feel that's the minimum cert level all divers should strive for.

Problem is that I'm looking for knowledge and skill and not for the c-cards. I need AOW card to be able to dive with different diving centers. Yes, I like to go deep.

But to end this topic - tonight I had my first lecture in AOW class. (because my club is not sure when the first available DIRF is going to be)

Thx for good wishes

I had the same question not too long ago. I decided to do the AOW. Looking back on it, I am glad I did. AOW fine tuned my skills and gave me more confidence and in turn being more comfortable, future dives have been more enjoyable. Everybody is different but it was the right move for me.

svidlano once bubbled...

Problem is that I'm looking for knowledge and skill and not for the c-cards.

I agree, I could give a rats rump about just collecting C-cards and to be honest, AOW did not teach me that much. If you get a good instructor, you can still pick up some useful info. I had several years of experience diving before I did AOW which made a lot of difference. Rescue on the other hand, was 2 intensive days of useful training. Training in self rescue and the rescue of others is useful when the stuff hits the fan.
How it compairs to DIR-F is to be seen, I have that in 3 weeks.

herman once bubbled...
I do suggest that you take AOW but not for the reasons you might expect. You need it before you can take Rescue. Personally, I feel that's the minimum cert level all divers should strive for. Rescue class is where you put your skills and training to the test. Of the PADI courses I have taken, it is by far the most valuable to me and the people I dive with.

Well said and I totally agree. I think Rescue is a valuable course for anyone to take, even if they have no plans to advance any further.

Back
Top Bottom