Should I return to store or RA#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
This could be simple, but still curious of opinions.

I bought 2 new high powered ($340 each) divelights from a reputable online company. These lights are somewhat unusual and not available though other sellers. Both lights arrived, with no external visible damage, broken.

As the light distributor is in my state, the seller suggests sending lights directly to distributor with RA#. This instead of sending back to seller, and waiting for new light shipment. Seller does have a single light remaining.

What is the downside of doing the RA#?

Thanks

I would love to know, what's the name of the online company you bought them from?

The company that sold the light most likely didn't test it before it shipped. chances are it was broken from the manufacturer. I doubt any online dive shop goes and puts batteries in a light and tests it, then removes the batteries before shipping.(unless they have a known issue with that model light).

maybe the online shop mentioned the "return to distrubutor" method directly by the customer because they didn't have any more lights and was trying to help get it done faster....

sucks for the custoner/consumer though to get a broken item though on any order... but it does happen.

What is the downside of doing the RA#?

that all depends on who the light company is. I'm sure different companies have different modes of operation and how quick they get to customer issue resolved.

some might be quick, some might be slow. But that's true with many different companies....

I'll use Princeton Tec for example in light RMA. I've sent SEVERAL lights to them for repair/replacment under their Lifetime Warranty. I've gotten all back, no questions asked, in about 2 weeks on average, with them including new batteries each time. I use them as an example as I don't think they are the light distributor in question here because they are in New Jersey and not California....

Thanks for your time, Mike.

I think that was the honest intention on their part (time savings).

I'm not really concerned about the manufacturer not handling this correctly. It's the "never worked, already sending them for RA, I should have got working lights first" problem. I think I'm going to try to exchange for new lights and let them deal with the RA.

RA's are generally not a problem. If the distributor doesn't have the product the fastest way is an RA back to the manufacturer, especially if he's in CA. You could always call the company and explain the problem to them and ask for a rough estimate on how long it will take to send you new lights (or repair and return the originals).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom