Should I keep my snorkel fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a fairly new pair of full-foot snorkel fins and just upgraded to open-heel Mares scuba fins. Shouldn't these work well for snorkeling? I was going to drop off my old ones at Goodwill but thought I'd check here first. Is there any reason to keep 2 pairs?

Thanks,
Cyn

Down here in Florida there are a lot of people that dive with the full foot fins. The water is warm enough that you don't really need the booties. I know everyone says that the full foot style fins are "Snorkel Fins" but they work just as good for scuba.

I'd keep them as a back up, you never know when you may need another set of fins for you or a buddy that forgot theirs.

Scott

I liked my full-foots but they are way too short and I was working pretty hard to dive with them. I don't dive where I live so it's unlikely I would be traveling with an extra pair when/if they were needed. But it's something to consider. OTOH, they are One More Damned Thing To Keep In My House. (TM)

I know what you mean. I had to build an 8 foot long by 6 foot high locker in my garage to keep all the gear my wife and I have in, including a pair of full foot fins that I haven't used in 5 years, because I ran out of room in the house. Half the closet in the spare bedroom is still filled with wet suits. I used to keep them in the garage too but one day on the dive boat I felt something crawling on my neck and figuring it was just a fly or something I smacked it and discovered it was a 2 inch long cockroach. We have a lot of them down here in humid south Florida.

Scott

Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to go on a warm water dive trip. Then the full-foot snorkel fins are great. They're easy to pack and you don't have to worry about taking the boots. At the moment I have 4 pair. I don't dive that much so go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom