Should I keep going or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about you having these troubles Angie. It's a beautiful world down there.

If it's a medical issue and it counterindicates diving then it's out of your hands and you can't dive. If it turns out that it's just a technique issue then you will learn now to equalize your ears. Everyone usually does. Start on the surface. Even before you dip your head below the surface and continue to do it until you reach your desired depth.

Another thing to remember is diving isn't anything like class. No one is going to point at you and make you clear your mask, equalize your ears or retrieve your regulator. You should practice these skills every so often but you get to say when.

I hope you get the clean bill of health Angie. I hate to see anyone miss out on the wonderful world of diving.

stefo2:
I'd just like to comment one more thing about the equalising - you say you couldn't equalise below 5-6 metres -

She didn't say meters... she said feet. But I guess that would make your point even stronger... You should just start to equalize sooner...

Angie,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty. I would never recommend medication without the approval of your doctor. Sudafed does help some people. It may or may not help you.

It sounds to me that you want to be a diver. It also sounds like you're having a few problems with a couple of skills. I have some experience teaching those skills. I have some tips for you. Some may sound unrelated, but believe me they will help. They will help make everything easier.

First, let's work with no mask breathing and mask clearing. They are closely related.

Often, important skills are left out of OW classes. Take your time and practice each step until you are comfortable before moving to the next.

Leave your SCUBA gear in your bag. You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving your face in the water. Continue until you are comfortable

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered your anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. You became an expert in no mask breathing.
3. You know you can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkel down and pick up your mask. Put it on and drop down to your knees. Break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. Keep your mouth closed. Repeat this until you are comfortable. Don't forget to stand up and catch your breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water you allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When you are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point you can clear it easily every time, see how many times you can clear it on one breath. After you are at this point, clearing your mask will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Remember, you can always stand up if you feel uncomfortable.

Now, let's discuss equalizing the pressure in your ears. If you do have an enclosed air pocket with no avenue for air to enter or escape, you won't be able to dive. Let's assume for now, that's not the case.

There are several methods of equalization and some tips to help them all work easier.

The most common method of equalization is the Valsalva Maneuver. Named for Antonio Valsalva, this technique involves pinching off the nostrils and blowing gently into the nose. Never blow forcefully while attempting this method as a too forceful Valsalva Maneuver can result in the rupture of the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils while an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

The Toynbee Maneuver is simply pinching of the nostrils while swallowing.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like the beginning of a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.

You should employ equalization techniques immediately upon descent and continue them regularly on descent. If any pain is experienced, you should ascend until all pain disappears and begin again.

Another equalization technique divers find helpful is to gently massage the area under the ear, just behind the jaw and against the jaw bone. This is most effective when used in conjunction with one of the methods discussed above.

Often divers find it useful to chew gum or eat crunchy foods such as apples or carrots prior to diving. You should not attempt to chew gum or eat while diving.

If you are unable to equalize ear pressure, it is possible to rupture the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent. If you are unable to equalize, you should abort the dive.

I hope this helps,

Walter

dutch-scuba-kid:
She didn't say meters... she said feet. But I guess that would make your point even stronger... You should just start to equalize sooner...

You're right of course, and I was reading and thinking feet as well, just typed metres out of habit.

abarto:
Thanks for the advice. Actually I'm the one who wanted to SCUBA and he agreed. I think the problem with my ears is a problem that I need to consult an ENT about. I have had 2 bad head injuries in the past and now have calcification within my brain ventricles. After all the cat scans and MRI's the Doc told me that I have an air cell that never fully formed in my mastoid bone. Probably why I have occasional bouts of vertigo. My right ear will clear every time, but not my left (where the malformed air cavity is). My instructor knows and recommended an ENT appt or take some sudafed. I won't be able to see a doc until after our scheduled check out dives. I am going to ask instructor today if I can get credit for class room time and have money paid for pool time credited towards next attempt. If the ENT doesn't clear me at least I can say I tried.
Angie
Hi one place no one mentioned is DAN call those guys, it sound like you need medically trained expert help! leave the sudafed in the packet and seek a medical opinion because it sounds like it will serve you better in the long term, you have some idea of a problem you have, call DAN and ask the people there, give them the explanation you gave here.
As you said worst case is they refer you to someone who says a definite no but by the same token you have not lost something more serious.

I had problems clearing my mask as well at first. I just told the instructor that I had to practice, then I went off on my own and spent 20 minutes or so in the pool practicing in shallow water until I felt very comfortable with it. Once you get it it's like riding a bike, you won't have a problem from that point on.
I would say that you should also spend some time practicing equalizing. You have to feel your own way through it. Try submerging very slowly for a little way, then stop for a bit and equalize, then go a little deeper, equalize again....
If you focus on spending an hour or so pool session on just equalizing...nothing else...and on your own at your own pace, you might just get comfortable with how to equalize and solve that problem for yourself. If you don't really focus on it and try it repeatedly, you'll never know if you gave up before you should have. If you find that after really trying , you still feel unfomfortable and can't do it and you don't like it, then you will have answered the question for yourself.
John C.

I had alot of trouble with my ears because allergies kept me stuffed up. Plane rides were painful. Diving below ten feet was excruciating. Then I tried this...When one of my ears refused to clear I put one finger in the good ear, held my nose with the other hand and did the blowing with closed mouth thing. That (and I have no medical training) seemed to hold the pressure steady in the ear with no problem, and put all the clearing pressure on the ear with the problem. That would help me clear the pain from the bad side of my head.

My appologies if the experts say it is a wonder that I can still hear at all.

Just a word of encouragement - salt water diving is nothing like pool training. I hate doing exercises in chlorinated water. In the sea I have no problems.

I finished my class work, but didn't even get in the pool. I passed my written test, so I don't have to repeat any of that. I have 6 months to finish pool work and do cert dives. My instructor gave me a list of all his classes and I am more than welcome to come to any session.
Walter,
Thank you for all info. Tried every method you described for the ears. They all worked for right ear, but not left. You are right in that I have a huge problem with having face under water without mask. Water gets in my nose and I'm done. I have always hated my face getting wet, but it doesn't bother me if I have mask on. As soon as the protection of mask is gone I'm not comfortable. I've tried practicing in the bathtub with snorkel and no mask and I wuss. I can take regulator out of mouth and blow bubbles no problem, and I can use snorkel and exhale through nose with some success. Guess I'll keep trying. I think my dive shop has a list of doc affiliations. I'll pick up list when I pick up Jeff's gear for his cert dives on Sat. Maybe I'll get to dive someday.
Angie

Angie,

See your doctor. It's not worth getting hurt. I hope you can get help in that area. If you're ever coming to Florida, look me up, I'll be happy to try to help you with the no mask breathing/mask clearing issue. Good luck and please let me know how you are progressing.

Walter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom