Should I haul my gear across the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWoodwell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not sure this is the right section to post this in...apologies if not.

My gf and I are headed from the States to Thailand in November. Probably only spend a couple days in Phuket where there would be any diving. Might get 3-4 dives in at most. We were thinking it might not be worth it to haul 2 extra suitcases across the world when you can rent gear locally for $10/day. Might just bring our own computers/masks, maybe our own suits. Other than that, anyone think it's worth it to haul a full set of gear?

With it being all the way across the world I would say it is certainly easier to get it there but with that being said there is no substitute for the comfort of knowing the gear you are going to be diving as well as the condition of the gear. Some rental gear can be kind of sketchy at times and you can control the condition of your own.

bring things that matter:
- mask
- computer
- regs
for 4 days (8 dives?) in warm water you can suck it up for the rest of the stuff that you left a home.

If you were going on a dream cycling vacation in Italy, you would want to bring your own bike....A dream diving vacation in Thailand is no different. You know your gear...it should be a part of you. To get all of the adventure you can get, you need to be all you can be....you need everything but your tanks and lead weight. Don't cheap your way out of the experience of a lifetime. :)

If you were going on a dream cycling vacation in Italy, you would want to bring your own bike....A dream diving vacation in Thailand is no different. You know your gear...it should be a part of you. To get all of the adventure you can get, you need to be all you can be....you need everything but your tanks and lead weight. Don't cheap your way out of the experience of a lifetime. :)

I here ya...but here is my dilemma. We're going to be there for 12 days and might get a total of 4 dives in. So for 12 days, we'll need to haul around 2 huge rolling duffels in a country where transportation is sketchy. Also keep in mind, the whole time we're there it's 80-90% humidity everywhere. So in addition to hauling all this stuff around, our already cramped hotel room will be filled with damp gear that likely won't dry out till we're back home. Nothing really to do with being cheap, wouldn't actually cost anything extra.

The question seems rhetorical; you already seem to have your own answer.

The question seems rhetorical; you already seem to have your own answer.

Guess I was hoping to hear from someone who's traveled the country with gear and get a second opinion on whether or not the hassle is worth it. But if you thought it was rhetorical, you didn't have to answer.

I've traveled from the States to Thailand three times over the last two years, mainly for diving. I carry a full set of tropical dive gear with me, largely because I've been doing a lot of technical training (Full Cave last trip).

Even with a full set of gear, I haven't had any problems getting from the airport to my hotel or from hotel to charter boat. I always leave a couple days from the last dive to relax before getting back on the plane home. That's plenty of time for even a full length 3mm suit to dry in an air conditioned hotel room. I stash the wet gear in the bathroom on the inside of the door or in the space under the sink. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've traveled from the States to Thailand three times over the last two years, mainly for diving. I carry a full set of tropical dive gear with me, largely because I've been doing a lot of technical training (Full Cave last trip).

Even with a full set of gear, I haven't had any problems getting from the airport to my hotel or from hotel to charter boat. I always leave a couple days from the last dive to relax before getting back on the plane home. That's plenty of time for even a full length 3mm suit to dry in an air conditioned hotel room. I stash the wet gear in the bathroom on the inside of the door or in the space under the sink. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Getting off topic, but do you have any dive operator recommendations in Phuket?

PS. I've read that theft is a big problem in the country, have you ever had concerns in this regard? Even about leaving gear unattended in the hotel?

I haul all my gear but them my only reason for traveling is diving, it's virtually all I do so it's worth it to me. In your situation I'd likely not bother, return for effort and all that. I've been to Thailand many times to numerous locations and have only experienced theft once and I'm pretty sure it was not a local. I don't think theft is as common as people say. Take the same care you would back home and you'll likely be fine.

Back
Top Bottom