Should I Get a Better Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm not an avid underwater photographer, but I do like to preserve a few memories. For the past year I've been using a Canon PowerShot A1000 in an Ikelite housing with no external flash.

The photos are OK and identifying subjects after the fact is a good exercise in creature ID.

However, I can't help but wonder if a better camera might result in better shots; especially of more distant subjects and more difficult lighting situations. Even if I get a better camera, I'll stick with no external flash simply because I don't want to be burdened with the extra gear.

I'm thinking of a Canon S100 with an Ikelite housing.

Some recent photos with my current configuration are here:

Out and About Thailand: Diving: Koh Losin, Koh Kra and Hin Bai (Sail Rock)

Granted, not great photography, but may be all I need for preserving the memories.

These shots were taken in 15 to 18 meters of water with Canon S95 using the Canon WP-DC38 and internal strobe only.

Paul's Vacation 2011 generated by VisualLightBox.com

Now I added an Inon S2000 strobe and my photo quality went down :( but mainly because I had to get used to using it. I am hoping to improve in time.

Without an external strobe, the most important point is to shoot RAW, only use the flash for close ups, turn of the flash for anything more than 1 meter away (useless at this range).

I have my camera set up with Av using flash and the C settings using a fixed focus and no flash so it is easy to change from close up to distant shots. Manual is better (if you have the time and experience to use it well - I don't)

I don't see a huge difference in quality between the S95 and the PowerShot. Of course, the PowerShot doesn't do RAW which limits editing possibilities.

I understand about the advantages of better lighting, but I'm just not willing to lug the extra gear.

Perhaps I'll just stick with what I've got....

The S100 will allow you to shoot RAW for your non- flash shots. That is a major plus over your current camera. You can adjust the white balance with the Canon software supplied with the camera.
The Canon housing will save you money since I assume you will not be adding wet mount lenses.

I don't see a huge difference in quality between the S95 and the PowerShot. Of course, the PowerShot doesn't do RAW which limits editing possibilities.

I understand about the advantages of better lighting, but I'm just not willing to lug the extra gear.

Perhaps I'll just stick with what I've got....

LOL, I may not be brilliant with a camera but considering the lighting conditions I was very happy with my results. Don't forget though the camera is just a tool, the person holding it is the real key.

---------- Post Merged at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The S100 will allow you to shoot RAW for your non- flash shots. That is a major plus over your current camera. You can adjust the white balance with the Canon software supplied with the camera.
The Canon housing will save you money since I assume you will not be adding wet mount lenses.

I started out with the Canon case but I have now added the INON lens adaptor. My next upgrade will be wet lenses.

I don't do enough diving (unfortunately) to justify investing in an Ikelite or Recsea housing from the start. Not sure how the final costing will work out, but my gradual buildup is good enough for me.

S90 using built in flash

7928978292_9274eed260_z.jpg

7929073474_2c8d16d13e_z.jpg

7929006410_3a9ef4f6a7_z.jpg

...; especially of more distant subjects and more difficult lighting situations.

I guess for more distant subjects, internal flash won't help much.

Here are some pictures I took with S95, Canon housing, no flash, jpg with manual white balance (using a grey card):

I do have to say though, it's worth it getting closer and using at least the internal flash, colors will be much nicer. Especially if you go deeper (the Goby was at something like 35 meters).
Internal flash, jpg:

Also, the more light, the lower you can have your ISO, and less ISO means less noise.

Range of internal flash is quite limited though, and can't use it with wide angle wet lens with attached dome.

I know I should work with raw (actually took all pictures jpg + raw), but I'm just too lazy to look into it and I like the jpg good enough.

buadhai, I empathize with your question AND your feelings about it. I have never been a "photographer", either on land or in the water, in the sense of being someone who aspired to any kind of art. A camera was to remind me of things I saw, and especially when diving, I didn't want to carry anything bulky or delicate. I started with an Olympus D'image, which I loved because it was TINY (and eventually flooded). I replaced it with an Olympus 720, which was too big for my taste, but the smallest I could find, and I used it until the housing developed microcracks and couldn't be repaired OR replaced. I didn't use it much. The pictures weren't great, but they were fine.

I replaced it with an Olympus 6020, and at this point, I was starting to get annoyed with my pictures. Here's an example:

270013_10150267314044216_2849434_n.jpg

Like the pictures I saw in your link, it's just kind of grainy and not very sharp. I kept experimenting with the camera and with the processing, and I just couldn't come up with anything I liked.

Then, on a Red Sea trip, my husband MADE me take his Olympus ELP-1 with strobe on a couple of dives. (I mean, he literally swam over and clipped the thing to me!) I took a bunch of pictures with it, and I was really surprised.

Here's an example of a similar photograph to the first one, shot under similar conditions:

545600_10150945413024216_461859968_n.jpg

The picture is simply sharper and brighter than anything I could do before. I found myself actually taking pictures I was PROUD to make public, and I also found the whole process of taking photographs suddenly became more interesting and more fun than it had ever been before.

Yeah, I still swear at the darned strobe when it gets in my way, walking to the water -- but underwater, a single strobe on that camera and housing makes the whole setup just about neutral, and it doesn't annoy me at all.

So I'd say yes, get a new camera. Grit your teeth and get a single strobe. You'll actually enjoy it.

I have a nikon s610 which is a 10mp 4x optical zoom. I'm in somewhat the same boat and trying to decide on either just getting the housing and using the internal flash or for $150 more get a kit that includes housing, slate, arm and an external flash.

Seems like you guys take pretty good pics without the external flash has anyone taken pics on the same small P&S type of camera with and without the ext flash and does it make a HUGE difference or not with a small external flash added??

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Yeah, I still swear at the darned strobe when it gets in my way, walking to the water -- but underwater, a single strobe on that camera and housing makes the whole setup just about neutral, and it doesn't annoy me at all.

So I'd say yes, get a new camera. Grit your teeth and get a single strobe. You'll actually enjoy it.

Do you think this small strobe is enough for a small P&S camera?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/448558-REG/Fantasea_Line_6115_Cool_Flash_Nano.html

Back
Top Bottom