Should I buy a GoPro for Raja Ampat LOB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRM-TX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all. Posting here instead of u/w photo/vid because my question is more about R4 than videography per se. Going on a 10 day LOB trip in mid-Nov, and sitting on the fence whether or not to buy a GoPro. Years ago, used to shoot film underwater, but then started diving less and didn't make the transition to digital. Since then, when I go on a LOB trip, would buy the DVD or USB from the onboard photo pro and that was good enough. Side benefit of no camera was getting more into the moment while diving and less time trying to find a shot. For clarity, am not interested in still photography, too much equipment and work to get any shots in the league of truly good photographers, some of whom are on this forum.
Sooooo, my impression is that the latest GoPro-6 is simple and good enough, with just a housing and some filters, to take reasonable videos and a few stills to capture the experience. Wide angle views of reefs and schools of fish, the deep blue, the dive boat hovering above, the shark or turtle swimming by, that sort of thing. Limitations understood, not trying for fine art. If this upcoming trip was the Caribbean, wouldn't bother, the overall scenes aren't that interesting. But based on online videos, Raja Ampat looks rich enough underwater that I might want my own GoPro in addition to buying the trip video and asking other divers to email me some shots. But am still a little reluctant to get the GoPro, am really enjoying the freedom of the minimalist approach for the last ten years. Reading the posts here, you people get it. My question is more about the overall experience in RA and the trade off between capturing some additional memories versus slightly diluting the real-time experience. What do you think?

I have never being a photographer underwater, so my input may not be as valuable. In my opinion, Raja ampat is so fabulous that I wouldn't want to miss a bit of it because I was dealing with a camera. Perhaps if I had a GoPro that was firmly attached to my head so that it saw what I saw then that might be okay. But all I cared about was taking it all in and trying to make sure it was stuck in my memory for all time. There are so many amazing videos on internet, I wouldn't have been able to come up with anything comparable anyway. Ymmv

Like @chillyinCanada, I don't care to fiddle with cameras underwater. I tried a couple of different cameras/housings, etc. and hate them all, it just took much of my attention away from the dive. Then I tried a GoPro on an ExRDS hand mount and loved it. The camera mounts to the back of my left hand but still leaves that hand free for other uses. Then it's literally a point and shoot kind of thing. The hand mount helps to keep the camera steady too.

Dive swag & accessories- ExRDS apparel and 3D printed dive accessories

Raja Amat is spectacular I would get a gopro housing and a tray. The tray will help you shoot more steady video. You can skip filters and white balance during the dive and color correct in post production.
I shoot underwater photo and video and just added a gopro to my gear to make shooting video a little easier than my camera rig. I feel naked underwater without my camera rig.

Like @chillyinCanada, I don't care to fiddle with cameras underwater. I tried a couple of different cameras/housings, etc. and hate them all, it just took much of my attention away from the dive. Then I tried a GoPro on an ExRDS hand mount and loved it. The camera mounts to the back of my left hand but still leaves that hand free for other uses. Then it's literally a point and shoot kind of thing. The hand mount helps to keep the camera steady too.

Dive swag & accessories- ExRDS apparel and 3D printed dive accessories

Yup, this is my husband’s preferred way of mounting the GoPro too. He likes carrying it.

Me, I don’t want to be encumbered with anything other than my scuba gear. I want to feel free underwater as much as possible. A GoPro or camera would not fit into that equation.

Me, I don’t want to be encumbered with anything other than my scuba gear.

I'm the same way, this system is about as close to not having a camera as you can get! I can use my flashlight on my right hand to light the video if I want, but it's also mounted to the back of my hand. If necessary, both hands are instantly free from holding anything and are available for whatever task is at hand.

I deceived reluctantly to hpget a camera because we were going on a RA LOB. Am so so pleased I did as now I absolutely love underwater photography. It has made me work a lot on my buoyancy and of course helps us remember everything. Mind you I had nearly 300 dives then !

Definitely go for it !

I am one of those who have decided to enjoy the dives and not worry about taking pictures, in large part because the pics I take aren't going to look anything like the pics you see from photogs that know what they are doing and have spent years honing their skills. Just steal Luko's or Dan's pics! Much easier.

We have quite a few great pics of fish swimming away, and some really great ones of ... something! Either something so good at camouflage that we can't see it -- or maybe it was just a mistake. And tons of pics with an overall green tinge...

If you do decide to get a camera, be aware that at least the early versions of the GoPro were fixed focal length - no zoom. Also be aware that AFAIK to take good pics at any reasonable depth you need a LOT of light. Also you need to know how the animal behaves, under what conditions is a good pic even doable -- and then have lots of patience. Then the fourth thing to realize is that you're going to have to spend quite some time on the computer, archiving the pics, color-correcting the pics, sorting the pics, making movies, adding music, etc. etc.

In other words - you are going to have another hobby in addition to diving. An expensive one if you do it right.

The other day we were lucky enough to find a mola-mola whose company we enjoyed for 10 - 20 mins. Most of the divers were flashing away, trying to get themselves a selfie at just the right distance, just the right angle, etc. etc. .... ME? I was lost in the FEELING of being in the presence of such a marvelous creature. I captured that feeling quite well I think. It will be with me for a long time.

- Bill

I'm the same way, this system is about as close to not having a camera as you can get! I can use my flashlight on my right hand to light the video if I want, but it's also mounted to the back of my hand. If necessary, both hands are instantly free from holding anything and are available for whatever task is at hand.

I would try that!!

My experience over time has been of divers losing their gopros because believing they'd properly slipped back 9nto the wrist or were actually on the wrist but not snuggled up tight, the gopro was lost.

I also noticed that over time a number 9f the dive guides on the boat would turn up with a new to them gopro. A gift from the sea.

I'm for whatever camera is easy to use and which allows the diver enough time and mind-cycles to actually enjoy the dive, not only the photography. For me, the camera becomes like the computer - I can't stop looking at it. NO.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom