Should boots stay zipped up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GiantMoray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a pair of boots along with a pair of fins for a diving trip. I noticed that the right boot in particular would not stay zipped up, I was wearing a shorty so didn't have the trouser legs over them to keep them done up. Is this normal/inevitable or should I take them back as although it isn't a big deal, it is a bit annoying and having spent money on them I feel the zips should do the job.

Thanks
James

That is why I like booties that have a fold over tab at the top to help hold the zipper. I notice it is more common with divers with large calfs.

If you don't have the Velcro tab it's kind of a crap shoot. Pressing the tab down when zipping may help, like when you zip your jeans. With tension and the lubricity of water that's asking a lot as much as it's a basic expectation. It's not a big deal to sew a patch of hook and a length of loop material to salvage the situation.

Pete

Last edited:
With a little glue and velcro, you can create your own closure over the zipper top.

It is a common issue. There should be a closure but usually isn't. I do not spend major money on boots considering them somewhat disposable. I get the cheapest ones from Divers Direct and toss them after a trip. Sew a piece of Velcro to them.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom